Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Real estate taxes for home office

nolanm
Level 4

Hi

I am entering mortgage interest and real estate taxes in form 1098. I then claim 10% of each in form 8829 from home office. 

In schedule A both mortgage interest and real estate taxes pull in from the 1098.  I can adjust the mortgage interest claimed down by 10% in line 8a, schedule A. But real estate taxes pull in as the full amount in 5b. How do i adjust these real estate taxes down by 10%? 

Thanks Nolan

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

4 Comments 4
rbynaker
Level 13

Stop using the 1098 input.  You don't need it.  Enter the expenses directly on the 8829 worksheet and have them flow to Sch A automatically from there.

nolanm
Level 4

cool that works thank you.

I thought the IRS matched 1098's with the mortgage co's fed ID number etc? None of these details necc at all in return?

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

Theoretically they do. I've never had a notice when an 8829 was involved.

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers
rbynaker
Level 13

Not necessary at all.  W-2 and 1099-R info gets transmitted so that stuff IS important.  The 1098 entries are for preparer convenience.

I don't usually bother with them but I do have a few clients with multiple rental properties and it helps me keep my sanity. 🙂  Chase x234 goes to E#1, Suntrust goes to E#2, WF goes to E#3, this other Chase x567 goes to E#4, and BofA goes to Sch A.  Then, inevitably we reach, "but wait, why is there a second WF this year?" and then find out that Chase #2 was refinanced mid-year with Dinky Local Bank and then sold off to WF a month later.

Rick