Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Proseries is not automatically calculating my rental loss in Schedule E

ddh2020
Level 3

One of my clients has a rental loss of the year, and proseries is not calculating it automatically like usual.  

On schedule E Worksheet, I usually enter the property's info and click the boxes for "active participation" and "Material Participation", then i proceed to enter expenses.

Line 21 on Schedule E is resulting in a loss.  However,  line 22 "Deductible rental loss" is 0.  If i scroll down it says "Passive dissalowed loss" all the way to the bottom.  Nowhere in the return am i stating that this is a passive activity as the owner actively participates in the rental business.

The only way i got proseries to calculate this loss is by checking box "G" for "Other passive exceptions", I dont even know what that means.

Has anyone encountered the same issue?

Thank you

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

Real Estate Rentals are automatically passive unless there is a special provision to treat them as non-passive (such as self-rentals, rental of land, and Real Estate Professionals).  Active and/or Material Participation do not change that.

So by default, the passive losses are not allowed and are carried forward on Form 8582.

If the taxpayer "actively" participates there is a special provision to deduct up to $25,000 of passive losses *IF* the taxpayer's income is under $150,000.  Because your taxpayer's income is over $150,000, your taxpayer does not qualify for that provision.

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
6 Comments 6
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Do they have too much income to allow the loss?

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
Marc-TaxMan
Level 8
look at 8582
0 Cheers
ddh2020
Level 3
Their total combined income is $197k, does that exceed the allowed income limitation?
0 Cheers
Marc-TaxMan
Level 8
look at 8582, please.  on which line does this activity show?
0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

Real Estate Rentals are automatically passive unless there is a special provision to treat them as non-passive (such as self-rentals, rental of land, and Real Estate Professionals).  Active and/or Material Participation do not change that.

So by default, the passive losses are not allowed and are carried forward on Form 8582.

If the taxpayer "actively" participates there is a special provision to deduct up to $25,000 of passive losses *IF* the taxpayer's income is under $150,000.  Because your taxpayer's income is over $150,000, your taxpayer does not qualify for that provision.

0 Cheers