Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I e-file Federal only? My customer's W2 does not have the CA EIN listed on W2 Form. I already tried unselecting CA E-File at of filing.

madrigal957
Level 1

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
itonewbie
Level 15

But isn't it relatively straight forward to have your client contact the employer to find out what the CA EIN is?

If you must file on paper, make sure you prepare and retain a CA F.8454.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
5 Comments 5
itonewbie
Level 15

But isn't it relatively straight forward to have your client contact the employer to find out what the CA EIN is?

If you must file on paper, make sure you prepare and retain a CA F.8454.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Are there CA state withholdings but no state ID?  If no state withholdings just use the Fed EIN in that box and Efile it.

If there are CA state withholdings and NO CA state ID number is shown, the CA refund will be delayed, FTB wont be able to match up the withholdings on the W2 with what's been reported to them by EDD.  The employer has to have an ID number in order to pay in the withholdings to EDD...Id be calling the employer to get that ID number.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

Yes, you can choose to only e-file Federal, and not e-file the State.

As you say, you uncheck the state when you e-file (or better yet, indicate in the information worksheet it is not going to be e-filed).  Are you having problems with that?  If so, please give details about whatever the problem is.

0 Cheers
Marc-TaxMan
Level 8
you have to uncheck Efile on Federal for the State, and then go to State and make sure it 'took' there.
0 Cheers
lgalvin
Level 3

I am attempting to do this on a 2020 return, but when I uncheck the state in the efile wizard, fed also unchecks - all or nothing it seems like.  Have done this many times in past years.  Any suggestions?

0 Cheers