Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

workstation failing to install

Gold4965
Level 1

After installing on admin ---going to work station I receive a shares violation ---have contacted tech support

no help--been escalated --no help --

My IT person has worked with it ---also contacted Microsoft & Dell cannot figure out--Anyone else have this same issue and hopefully a fix for the problem. Thank you for your time Martin

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

7 Comments 7
Orlando
Intuit Alumni

Thank you for reaching out. Let me see if we can have an agent and one of our engineers reach out tomorrow to see what's going on (they will call or email).  We think it might be antivirus related or special settings on a folder, but would love to identify what's going on... we're not sure.

0 Cheers
Gold4965
Level 1

Good Morning 

A little more information for you ---Our tech support unable to figure out --talked to Microsoft no help a bunch of idiots---The most help came from a guy at CFS who is still researching and kind of thought also --a antivirus -then our tech guy spent more than 3 hrs on phone at our office with a a DELL Rep --pretty brilliant individual who really knew his way around ---the error seem to generate about the time we installed the windows update(s) about the first week of December---- that's when we  got a shares issue (permissions) Everyone has rights to all programs --been checked so many times first place everyone wants to put their finger on  --but that is not the deal --Reason CFS got involved is the same error appears for their programs --so reached out to Microsoft a bunch of idiots  and then to Dell who spent a lot of time trying to see any problems they could see--no help. Dell is researching also. But in the meantime we are at a complete stand still --we have over 550 clients all networked ---so we sure hope you folks have a fix ---Thank you for your time. Martin [email address removed]   [phone number removed]

0 Cheers
Orlando
Intuit Alumni

Thank you for the additional detail. I'm working on getting an expert to follow up.  In the meantime, can you confirm this is happening during the workstation install - and can you post the exact error message (or even better, a screenshot)?

No worries if that's not possible, as we can get that info when we follow up. Getting it ahead of time would let my engineers do a bit of research first, so that we might be able to come in better equipped with questions or things to try. Otherwise this first call may be exploratory, and like the others we'd have to research. I know that's not the ideal, but sometimes it's very difficult to tell what's going on with these Windows machines.

0 Cheers
Gold4965
Level 1

Took a screen shot but says file to large--SO this is the message

WINDOWS cannot access \\SERVER\Data\ProNet20\wkstn\install.exe

You do not have permission to access \\SERVER\Data\ProNet20\wkstn\Install.exe. Contact your network administrator to request access.

For more information about permissions. See windows Help and Support

*** Please know that all have total rights for everything --been checked over and over. My Tech Guy has a conference call between noon and 2  MT time with antivirus guy --will let you know outcome.

Thank you

Martin

0 Cheers
Orlando
Intuit Alumni

Just for Google / Historical / overall knowledge purposes - turned out the issue was Cylance Anti-virus, and it was impacting other network products as well.

0 Cheers
Gold4965
Level 1

Orlando---I hope you received the info as to why we couldn't get the work station to install---

There was a antivirus called CYLANCE that created the nightmare---must remove to get the workstation to install. My tech guy called the program manager  and (I don't have the full details yet) but somehow left it running in the back ground if I understood correctly --- when I receive full details I will forward info.

Thank you ALL for time and trouble

Martin

0 Cheers
Orlando
Intuit Alumni

You're welcome, and thank you for reporting the issue and for your patience.  As a result of this thread we'll be updating KB articles, educating our front line agents, and for next year we'll be looking at ways to make Network installation easier (for example seeing if we can support workstation installation like any other install, vs running the workstation specific installer from the shared drive).

0 Cheers