Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

working at home due to the pandemic/covid

barbgreenx
Level 3

Client worked from home for the entire year during the pandemic. Are there any credits allowed 

for extra expenses incurred while working from home ( electricity,phone usage etc).

Thank You

B Green

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

15 Comments 15
IRonMaN
Level 15

There might be, but I think you have to subtract all of the cost savings they had by not having to travel to the office each day, as well as the savings on lunches, clothes, etc

Slava Ukraini!
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
for a W2 employee? Not for federal. Your state may still allow misc itemized deductions.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
DTNY07
Level 7

Pandemic wasn't the entire year for 2020.  Started during March

But home offices and other W-2 job expenses have not been allowed at the federal level since 2018.  They didn't change it back for 2020.  At the state level, some states still allow the job expenses.  Basically if they allowed them before 2018, they still allow them now.  For example, NY does. NJ didn't before, so they don't now

DTNY07
Level 7

Jenny answered when I called.  Got her number from Taime Downe's bathroom wall

DTNY07
Level 7

Tommy Tutone just came up on my music stream at work.  Made me think of this post from yesterday

Usually have 80s metal or 80s Top 40 going at work since that is what I grew up with.  Though my wife (the only other person in my small tax practice)  is more of a Punk and Alternative fan, so she will play that as well

IRonMaN
Level 15

When it comes to music, it's like they say - they don't make them like they used to.  Music has to be at least that old to listen to since the new stuff sucks.

Slava Ukraini!
DTNY07
Level 7

I lived in the 60s for less than a month.  I can probably count on 2 hands how many songs I like post 2000.  All 80s stuff, metal, hair metal, Top 40, freestyle is better than any of today's stuff.  I do like maybe 1/2  of 90s stuff as well, 

qbteachmt
Level 15

You folks need to "get out more."

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers
barbgreenx
Level 3

Thank You for your response

They don't have a home office, only used it during the pandemic 11 months. I do realize that

the 2106 is no longer allowed. Was checking to see if there was anything new because of covid.

I will look into the state for credits if any.

signed

Just checking

0 Cheers
barbgreenx
Level 3

Agree

0 Cheers
barbgreenx
Level 3

thanks

0 Cheers
barbgreenx
Level 3

thanks Lisa

best response yet!

qbteachmt
Level 15

"Was checking to see if there was anything new because of covid."

They should find out if the employer will participate in An Accountable Plan.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers
DTNY07
Level 7

I didn't see the part where you mentioned credits.  I just read it as home office and the other job expenses you listed.  I am in NYC, and probably 70% of my clients are, so NYS still allows the job expenses anyway.  

DTNY07
Level 7

The guys from Metallica are up and comers for sure.  Look out for them in 2022.