Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why, just tell me why

IRonMaN
Level 15

Why in the world did I end up doing more extensions for July 15th than I did for April 15th last year?

Why do people that would have had all of their information by the end of January decide to show up on July 13th with their crap?

Why do people that sat on 8879s for returns done in March and April find it so difficult to get them back to us by July 15th?

Why are we really stupid enough to do this for a living?

And lastly, why does Intuit greet us with "Happy Extended Tax Day" when we stop in here on July 15th?  It's "tax season" not "tax day".  Sounds like just another disconnect from Intuit as to what this profession is all about.

Well at least the good news is, the US has made grade strides in getting COVID 19 behind us since the original April 15th due date has passed 😲

Slava Ukraini!

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

14 Comments 14
clr600
Level 8

Amend to that

TaxGuyBill
Level 15

@IRonMaN wrote:

I think most of us ask that of ourselves every year.

@IRonMaN wrote:

And lastly, why does Intuit greet us with "Happy Extended Tax Day" when we stop in here on July 15th?  It's "tax season" not "tax day".  Sounds like just another disconnect from Intuit as to what this profession is all about.

That was exactly my thought.  It seems like something to announce to a TurboTaxer, not a tax professional.

For me, the 10th is always "Extension Day".   I file extensions for the clients that I have information for, and send emails to the clients that have not gotten me things yet.  And I'm pretty much done at that point except for accepting a few 8879s to e-file the extended return.   😁

BobKamman
Level 15

The guidebook author and tour conductor Rick Steves commented recently that 2020 is a lot like 1940 -- people have to put their lives on hold, and wait for the world to return to normal.  

Maybe this is an 80-year cycle; the same could have been said in 1860.  

What we need to remember is that "normal" does not mean "certainty."  If you're smart enough to help people fill out a tax form, you're smart enough to help them adjust to change, even when the social fabric seems to be tearing apart from different directions, for different causes. 

You're even smart enough, to make that adjustment yourself.  

IRonMaN
Level 15

What change?  People that extend on April 15th still extend on July 15th and it seems that a lot of folks are oblivious to the fact that COVID 19 could kill them.

Slava Ukraini!
sjrcpa
Level 15

You have been missed.

Ex-AllStar
IRonMaN
Level 15

Thanks!  After all of these years I finally broke my addiction to this place.  Getting addicted to meth and cocaine helped me kick the habit ----------------------------- I see they still haven't added a sarcasm font 😁

Slava Ukraini!
Synergy
Level 2

why oooooooooooo why is the software not working .....

and ProSeries Hold music is awful....

qbteachmt
Level 15

"I see they still haven't added a sarcasm font"

I thought you took that with you to retire it from use.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
IRonMaN
Level 15

I would never pay for that and you should know by now that you get nothing for FREE from Intuit.  

Slava Ukraini!
dkh
Level 15

@sjrcpa wrote:

You have been missed.

I second that.

dkh
Level 15

@IRonMaN wrote:

I ask myself that question every year after April 15th and again after Sep 15th and again after Oct 15th.

Now with covid19 floating around,  I'm feeling scared on top of stupid.      Truly considering a major change in my practice for the coming year.   

IRonMaN
Level 15

"Truly considering a major change in my practice for the coming year"

I really enjoyed the weeks that our building was locked down and clients couldn't get in.  Even though clients didn't think it was possible, we still managed to push out a lot of returns without a revolving door of people coming in and out of the office.  I have decided to invest in a good crossbow for next tax season.  When their returns are finished I will just have them drive into the parking lot with their passenger window down and I'll just launch their return to them from my second story office window.  I'll practice a little this summer to get my aim fine tuned for next tax season.

Slava Ukraini!
The-Tax-Lady
Level 9

I enjoyed the alone time also and got a ton of stuff done with out the constant interuptions.

Procrastiation is just what it is, same clients, every year, but this year was worse because it created a situation with clients who would have been timely had they been able to get the hell out of the house.

I imagine next year will be crazier than usual and I plan on doing 75% of my work remotely. My postage costs will definitely be increasing but that will be a small price to pay if our current COVID situation does not improve.

I have also missed your snarky comments and wealth of knowledge, but your reason is clear to anyone paying attention. This forumn just isn't any fun anymore. The critical sense of humor required, in my opinion, to do this type of work has vanished from this site. I miss the CAGMC banter, comaraderie and the vast wealth of knowledge shared by all the "All-Stars" and I've only been here a few years.

Oh well, it's a whole new world out there and hard to tell whats coming down the road so ya'll stay well so we can do this all over again in a few months. 🙂

IRonMaN
Level 15

Snarky?  Me?  I don’t know the meaning of the word.😜

I have been around this place for centuries.  I enjoyed making some good friends here over the years and I had a good time making those friends.  Over the years we have lost some really good people.  Some have left us by untimely deaths.  Some have left due to retirements.  Others have left because of their great distaste for Intuit.  Those folks departing and Intuit’s mucking this place up with a new format  as well as shifting great employees away from this place has left this place a shell of what it used to be.  So you are right, the fun is gone.

Slava Ukraini!