Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is money not being taken out of account to pay 2020 tax liability with IRS?

mpalmajr
Level 1
Clients ask me to have their money withdrawn from their bank account on a certain date to pay 2020 tax liability with IRS. I usually post for withdrawal to happen, at minimum,
four days after e-filing date to give IRS enough time to process withdrawal request. However, an increasing number of clients are calling me back to tell me that no money has been withdrawn by IRS on the agreed date. Is it a ProSeries glitch or is it another IRS problem this year 2021. Clients are hesitant to make the payment, manually, at IRS.GOV, and later IRS comes and makes a belated withdrawal. IRS will eventually refund the extra money withdrawn but *** knows when. Should I advise clients to forgo automatic withdrawal and go directly to IRS.GOV and manually do the payment online.
0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

12 Comments 12
sjrcpa
Level 15

Many, many people have the same complaint. It appears to be an IRS issue.

Ex-AllStar
BobKamman
Level 15

I'm sorry, you don't win the prize for being the first to ask the question today.  At least three others are ahead of you, if you scroll down a bit.  Try again tomorrow.  

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Its not just Intuit, but they are addressing the issue  Ive seen in otehr tax pro groups that their clients are seeing it take up to 2 weeks for the money to pull.

Lucky me, they grabbed my $$ on the day it was scheduled...I wonder if it has to do with the bank?

https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/proseries-tax-news-updates/discussion/1040-es-payments-not-b...

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
PATAX
Level 15

I predict the question will be asked another 7,373 times before the issue is finally corrected... Just my opinion

0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

More likely, it has to do with how far in advance you scheduled the payment.  Week of March 15 reservations being honored now; Week of March 22 expected soon . . .

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
mine was an extension payment, Efiled on the 14th, pulled the funds on the 15th.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

Well, there you go.  LIFO !

linda2
Level 5

So are balances due going to eventually be deducted?  Is the problem with estimated payments only?  Is Proseries going to pay everyone's penalties?

0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

The problem is with IRS, which has eight months to figure out how to credit the payments to April 15 (same as if they had been mailed on time).  I think they will probably be able to do that.  

0 Cheers
linda2
Level 5

Are you talking about balance due or estimated payments?  We have several clients who have estimates efiled through proseries.  Is the April 15 estimated payment going to be deducted and applied to April or are they going to have double payments deducted in June?

0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15
0 Cheers
mpalmajr
Level 1

Update to my initial post/question: Now clients are calling me back to update me that IRS has finally withdrawn their payment from their account. Apparently, it is taking one to two weeks for IRS to do it and as Just-Lisa-Now and Bob Kamman pointed out, IRS is now catching up. Good info you guys, thank you.

0 Cheers