Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why don't clients show when I run the client analyzer for 2018 Form 5695?

david3
Level 7

I prepared form 5695 for clients in 2018. Of course those forms weren't filed since the energy credit wasn't extended at that time.

Now that the energy credit has been extended for 2018 I ran a query through the 2018 client analyzer tool. However, no clients appeared.

How do I see a list of clients that need to file 2018 amended returns to claim the energy credit?

Thanks. 

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

4 Comments 4
dkh
Level 15

I had many clients that should've been able to claim the energy credit for 2018 but couldn't because at the time the credit had expired - therefore - the Form5695 wasn't completed.    How did you complete the Form 5695 BEFORE the extender was past?    I can't recall for sure but wouldn't it have given you an error for e-filing?    My point is the query can't work if the info isn't there.

I made myself a nice list with a word document of those that would be eligible for amending if it was extended.

david3
Level 7

If I recall from last year, PS allowed us to prepare forms like 5695 in case the IRS extended the credit. I was allowed to e-file.

This year when I looked at a client's 2018 tax return there was an error marked for F 5695, for a question to be answered before the return could be amended to claim the credit.

I remember that there was a feature in PS that showed clients who had 2018 deductions/credits that were finally extended after the 2018 tax deadline. I know I had other clients who couldn't claim the energy credit in 2018 so I ran the query but no clients showed up.

I know there are other clients who have 2018 F 5695 because I saw them when I compared their 2019 tax returns to their 2018 tax return. I didn't bother to write them down since I knew there was a feature that allows us to see what 2018 tax returns were impacted by the extender.  

Is it a different query than client analyzer that I should run to see what clients need to amend to claim any 2018 extended deductions/credits?

Thanks.

0 Cheers
dkh
Level 15

In 2018 program under Client Analyzer Queries> New Queries >New:Has Form 5695 Nonbusiness.....

did you use this option to search for your clients with F5695?    I tried and it worked for me.  

0 Cheers
david3
Level 7

Yes and the message says no clients met the criteria for the "Has Form 5695 Nonbusiness Energy Property Credit" query.

However, I know there are clients that meet that criteria.

Any ideas what I have to do so the query shows tax returns impacted by the extenders?

Thanks.

0 Cheers