Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does my Pro Series Basic Keep Crashing

skymax
Level 3

My proseries basic KEEPS CRASHING.  Even as I ran the repair tool.  This tax season is hard enough, the last thing I need a my tax program to keep crashing every 5 minutes!!!  No joke, every 5 minutes!!  WTF Proseries????

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

27 Comments 27

Same here. This is really hindering my ability to function. 

Cookie2021
Level 3

Yes, this is frustrating! It keeps happening to me as well 😞

PATAX
Level 15

Worst possible time of the year for this to be happening.... Terrible.. Good luck....

OPM member
Level 2

The latest Alert says this might happen and tells us how to fix it.  But - I don't find under tools the "Repair Updates".

0 Cheers
TAXOH
Level 11

You have to go to the start menu, to ProSeries 2020 and you'll find it there.

IRonMaN
Level 15

Everybody fasten your seatbelts.  Sounds like it is gong to be a rough ride to the finish line this year.

Slava Ukraini!
PATAX
Level 15

You may want to also make sure all of the airbags are properly functioning ..... just my opinion...

OPM member
Level 2

I am also running the ProSeries Tool Hub - update fixes.

TAXOH
Level 11

It doesn't seem to do any good because it still happens.  I'm about to try and efile, fingers crossed.

TAXOH
Level 11

Got kicked out twice while converting and transmitting 4 tax returns.  They went through on the 3rd try.

skymax
Level 3

Doesnt do any good for me either.  Updated the program, ran the repair tools, restarted.  Keeps happening.  Glad I spent thousands of dollars on this program....

PATAX
Level 15

👍skymax

TAXOH
Level 11

I've sent them both log files this time and Orlando responded to my email and asked for a few other things and they are working on solving the problem.  

skymax
Level 3

Thank you!

TAXOH
Level 11

Did you email them your logs?  He said they have 6 others and they are looking to see what is the common factor among those of us having the problem.

OPM member
Level 2

Yes, I only had it shut down once.  I just e-filed and didn't have a problem.  Will hope and see on the next return.

0 Cheers
AnhNgoc
Level 4

I reported this crash to Pro Series since Feb 01st, they create a debug file on my computer. When the software crashed, I send them the debug file and all the log files but until now, the software still keep crashing a lot of times a day! I have to click save many times while I am doing just make sure I don't have to input again!

0 Cheers
MAYFERNANDEZ
Level 2

Lucky you, mine is keep crashing every 30 mins, So depressing this tax year season.

IRonMaN
Level 15

I think we are all going to wake up one morning and realize this tax season was just a real bad dream.  At least I'm hoping that is the case 😰

Slava Ukraini!
RTS
Level 2

This tax year 2022 and it is happening to me since I switched to pro series professional from basic. 

I have an issue my Pro Series 2022 keeps crashing. When going full screen, trying to print, while I am working on some forms Closed everything I was working on, and it happens multiple times a day.  rebooted my computer, deleted the pro series reinstalled it ran repairs, it didn't help at all.  If anything, the past four days it is actually worse.  I have taken to saving my files every few minutes. 

I don't get any error message; Pro Series just quietly slips away and closes itself each time.

I just tried the other thing that was in the thread in community, but nothing is helping. I have no problem with any other previous years Pro Series programs that I have in my computer except the 2022 tax year. I am not sure what else can be done. It is getting so annoying holding my breath for every costumer that I am working with hoping not to crash.

Horrible start right of the season. 

0 Cheers
taxes96786
Level 9

Do you have mouse jiggle and is it open before you log in to ProSeries.  I use it and my ProSeries doesn't close down unless I forget and leave it open for more than 24 hours.

0 Cheers
RTS
Level 2

No I don’t have mouse jiggle, but keep getting worse, now crashes even when I send a doc signature, printing forms, and sometimes e-filing.  The worse program has ever been seen since 15 years ago. It is a shame that I paid $2800 for this trash program and cost me chasing my customers away. I have been spending 2 hours with each customer instead of 30 minutes. 

0 Cheers
dascpa
Level 11

I had this a few years ago and ProSeries fixed it.  It was a program issue affecting a lot of people.  One thing I've learned is that having ProSeries and QuickBooks desktop doing active chores at the same time can causes QuickBooks to automatically close.  They both can be open, but not both doing things. 

0 Cheers
RTS
Level 2

I do have a quickbook, but I don’t run them at the same time. 

0 Cheers
rcooley25
Level 11

And you think the sales of fireball whiskey is going to slip. No, we are going to need it more than ever.

RTS
Level 2

I am going to. Need more than a fireball. I just spoke to tech support and I was told state returns are causing issue of crashing. Tomorrow is the day for state of Michigan update and I am keeping my finger cross hopefully that will fix some crashing issue. 

0 Cheers
rcooley25
Level 11

I guess I am lucky because so far I have not had a problem with the system crashing. What I have had a problem with on my Illinois tax returns is if there is form 8915f which will not be approved before  02/16/23 

and that Illinois nee3ds a copy of anything that applies to retirement income I cannot get the system to print the  the Ilinois tax return. All other Illinois tax returns print just fine as long as retirement income is not envolved.

0 Cheers