Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

where to input W-2 dependent's child income

arth-taxes
Level 2

My client's son is 18. He is a full time student. He is part of household, has same home address. He got W-2 form. He earned $870 for the entire year. Where do I input his W-2 form income. There is only option for main taxpayer or spouse

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
abctax55
Level 15

He has to file his OWN return; it doesn't go on his parents return.

And since it sounds like you are new to professional tax preparation, make sure you don't forget to mark that he is being claimed by someone else.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"

View solution in original post

7 Comments 7
abctax55
Level 15

He has to file his OWN return; it doesn't go on his parents return.

And since it sounds like you are new to professional tax preparation, make sure you don't forget to mark that he is being claimed by someone else.

( Generic Comment )"
Skylane
Level 11
Level 11

@abctax55 too kind 🙂

@arth-taxes Unless the kid has any withholdings that he wants back  I wouldn't bother.

If at first you don’t succeed…..find a workaround
abctax55
Level 15

I have my good moments... occasionally 

( Generic Comment )"
arth-taxes
Level 2

I appreciate your response. Thank you. If he got no withholding and income of just $870, is he still required to file his return?

0 Cheers
arth-taxes
Level 2

No withholding and income for entire year $870. So, you wouldn't file his return at all?

0 Cheers
garman22
Level 13
Level 13

@arth-taxes wrote:

No withholding and income for entire year $870. So, you wouldn't file his return at all?

Are you new to tax prep or a DYI'er? 

Unless child has withholding and even then it would be a judgement call based on your fee......I would not file it. 

Accountant-Man
Level 12

Ask Turbo Tax.

** I'm still a champion... of the world! Even without The Lounge.