Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where do I enter where to enter carryover DEDUCTIBLE STATE AND LOCAL TAXES from a prior year?

lamaandco
Level 1

0 Cheers
7 Comments 7
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
What kind of state and local taxes carryover?

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
dkh
Level 15

Do you mean where to report taxable prior year state refund ?   State and Local Income Tax Refund Worksheet        to get there select Forms>Select Forms     Type REF in the Find forms box

0 Cheers
lamaandco
Level 1

Hi and thank you. The prior year tax return had a page which listed Federal carryover amounts to 2020. I know where to put the capital loss carryovers. But there was line that said Deductible State and Local Taxes to carry over to 2020.  I looked at all the various carryover and tax payment worksheets in ProSeries. The only thing that makes sense to me is to add it Sch. A taxes paid as prior year tax deduction carry forward.

0 Cheers
lamaandco
Level 1

Thanks.

The prior year tax return had a page which listed Federal carryover amounts to 2020. Some were capital loss carryovers. I know where to put those. But there was a line that said Deductible State and Local Taxes to carry over to 2020.  I looked at all the various carryover and tax payment worksheets in ProSeries. Could not find a place there. The only thing that makes sense to me is to add it to Sch. A as State/local taxes paid, prior year tax deduction carry forward.

0 Cheers
dkh
Level 15

Does the amount from the page listing carryovers match last years state tax refund ?

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
could it be a 2019 state estimated payment that was made in January 2020 so it wasnt included in the Sch A state taxes paid for 2019?

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
lamaandco
Level 1

No, this is not a refund (income).  It's a deduction. Taxes paid or incurred in a prior year. 

I think I have figured it out. I think the previous tax preparer gave them Sch. A credit in 2019 only for state tax paid IN 2019, not all the state taxes paid FOR 2019. So I think she is saying that this additional amount should be deducted on Sch. A in 2020 since they were paid in 2020 even though they were for 2019 tax.

0 Cheers