Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Where Do I Enter" button not working in any year's product

Sean_M
Level 3

I just noticed yesterday that the "Where Do I Enter" button isn't working in 2020.  I get a pop up that says: "The "Where Do I Enter" feature is not available in this product.".  Today I noticed it's no longer working in 2019 or 2018.  I'm using ProSeries professional on a stand alone computer, and I am definitely connected to the internet.   Any ideas what's wrong and how to fix it?  I LOVE using this feature.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

32 Comments 32
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

Can ProSeries download and install updates?  Sometime the computer has a problem connecting to ProSeries internet, even though it is connected to other internet.

IRonMaN
Level 15

I just checked mine and it is working.  Have you tried rebooting your computer?

Slava Ukraini!
Sean_M
Level 3

Yes - I tried rebooting the computer.  Didn't help.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

@Orlando   this is the same person/situation I messaged you about yesterday.   

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
Sean_M
Level 3

I had problems downloading it initially.  Had to reboot my internet actually in order to make it work.  I've tried to install updates, but it hasn't found any recently.   I'm currently on version wPro.2020.04.00.23 and it tells me it's up to date.  If that's not the current info, you may have hit on my problem... but how do I fix it?  I can't reboot my internet everytime I want to use ProSeries, that would be impossible.

0 Cheers
Sean_M
Level 3

Hi - I responded to you on Facebook.  Thanks for the link, but it didn't work for me.   So is there a reasonable solution?

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

Have you tried clicking your computer's start menu and then clicking ProSeries and selecting "repair updates"?

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
Orlando
Intuit Alumni

Thanks @Just-Lisa-Now- 

@Sean_M Glad to hear you like the feature.. sorry to hear it's having issues. 

The "WDIE" feature actually checks a file on the internet first. If it can't find it, you get that "not available" message. For 1040 TY20 Professional, it's:

http://prodldfp.proseries.com/pro/2020/content/wdie/dev/s2020us1040pro.xml

For basic it's

http://prodldfp.proseries.com/pro/2020/content/wdie/dev/s2020us1040pro_basic.xml

Can you try that url in a browser on your machine?  If you can't get it in the browser, then this is most likely a router/firewall deciding that it doesn't like the proseries.com domain. We've seen this several times this past few weeks with updates and downloads.. everything was fine, and then the router just up and decided to start blocking proseries.com.

If you can't get that file, even in a browser..

• Make sure nobody in your household is doing something important on the internet
  • Turn your router and modem off, wait a minute, then turn them back on
  • Try the url in a browser again. If it still doesn't work, check your firewall and anti-virus software.. see if any of them are blocking proseries.com

If you can get that file in a browser.. I'd be stumped. Maybe something in the log could give me a clue.. go to your installation directory and email 32bit/logs/proseries.txt to proseries_engineering@intuit.com.

0 Cheers
Sean_M
Level 3

I tried that link when Lisa gave it to me.  It didn't work.  I'll try rebooting the modem/router later.  It's being used right now.  I had to reboot it a couple weeks ago just to install ProSeries 2020 - a new problem that I'd never had before.  I hope I don't have to reboot it each time I use ProSeries, that would not be realistic at all.

0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

@Sean_M wrote:

I hope I don't have to reboot it each time I use ProSeries, that would not be realistic at all.

You or your IT person (or a friend that is good with computers/networking) should be able to go into your router's settings to fix it.  An IT person would be able to figure out where to do it in the router settings, and whitelisting everything from ProSeries.com should probably fix it permanently.

Sean_M
Level 3

Well I worked on this last night.  I rebooted the modem, and I could get your link to work.  A page came up with TONS of programming language it appeared.  But the WDIE button didn't work still.  Today when I tried again, the link you sent no longer works.    If there are several people with this problem, is ProSeries going to come out with an update to fix this?  It seems strange that the program works, but not this one feature.  

Also, I haven't had any updates in a week-ish.  I'm currently on Version wPro.2020.04.00.23.  Can you let me know if this is the current version?  Or if my updates aren't working either??

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

Have you tried doing the "repair updates" thingy that I suggested earlier?

Slava Ukraini!
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Mine shows version 2020.05.00.20 Have you ran REPAIR Updates?

Im on a stand alone system, Im not sure if network is different.

Sean_M
Level 3

Yes.  I tried that... just says "Proseries is up to date" like it does when I try either Update Installed Products or Refresh Updates from the Update menu.

0 Cheers
Sean_M
Level 3

I'm a stand alone system too.  Sole Proprietor - no IT expert or department... just me.   This is very frustrating.  Especially since it appears I can't get updates either.  That's a serious problem.  

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

REPAIR updates should flush all the old updates out and download them fresh....you wouldnt get a message that "youre up to date"

repair2020.png

Sean_M
Level 3

Thanks for the picture.  I appreciate it.. .but that's exactly what I did - used that button from the Start Menu.  

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

I'm my own IT guy so I feel your pain.  But unless @Orlando has some divine guidance, I would be tempted to uninstall the program and install it again.

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Weird, something is blocking you.   Firewalls and routers are out of my league.

@Orlando  any words of wisdom here?

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
IRonMan he said its happening to other years as ell, I dont think its the software, it the path that ProSeries takes to reach the internet thats blocked by something.

Sean_M
Level 3

I'm trying to figure out my router settings, but that could take a while.  I hope @Orlando can help guide me.   I'm afraid to uninstall it, as I had problems downloading it in the first place.  Had to reboot my modem just for that too.  I can't be rebooting my modem daily and crossing my fingers it works.

0 Cheers
Sean_M
Level 3

@IRonMaN and @Just-Lisa-Now- I really appreciated the effort to help.  I hope Orlando has some magic words of wisdom.  I've rarely had problems over the years with ProSeries, but this is a biggie!

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Hey Sean, did you see this line in Orlando's response above:

Maybe something in the log could give me a clue.. go to your installation directory and email 32bit/logs/proseries.txt to proseries_engineering@intuit.com.

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

Yeah, the post is getting a little long and I forgot that you were having issues with other years too.  Hopefully our Super Hero Orlando can help.

To be honest, you have more patience than I do.  About now I would be giving Drake a trial run 😬

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
Sean_M
Level 3

I saw that... but I didn't fully understand it.  Not sure where the installation directory is.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Use Windows File Explorer, it should be down on your Windows taskbar its a little yellow folder.

This is the path to the log files (assuming you installed to the default directory).

LOGS.png

Sean_M
Level 3

Thanks!  I got halfway on my own.  Got to the ProWin20 folder, but didn't understand the 32 bit piece.  E-mail sent to them as requested now!

0 Cheers
Orlando
Intuit Alumni

Unfortunately, as long as your router or whatever is blocking proseries.com a lot won't work.. most notably Updates and WDIE. It's the same problem - they all need access to that domain... and unfortunately it's nothing we can control on our side.

Again, if you fire up a browser, load up https://ftpfp.proseries.com/pub/proseries/2020/LICENSE.HTM , you should get this:

2021-01-19_12-59-22.png

To help troubleshoot.. I would:

• Connect my computer to an entirely different network and try that url in a browser.  Tether to a phone or take a laptop to starbucks. This test should isolate the problem to your machine or your router.   If you have the same problem on a different network, it's something with your firewall or anti-virus software
  • If it's firewall or antivirus.. I'd first try turning stuff off / uninstall to isolate. Once you've figure out which product it is, call them for support or look in their admin panel or post here for advice. Recently we saw this with AVG.
  • If it's your router, the folks who've had this reported the issue was fixed with the hard reset, which flushes the cache. But there's lots of reasons why this can happen, and lots of potential fixes.  You might consider trying a different router (save the receipt and return if it doesn't work)
0 Cheers
Sean_M
Level 3

@Orlando we've been chatting via e-mail, but I just wanted to publicly thank you for all your help.  It is VERY much appreciated, and better than tech support via phone could have done!

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

@Orlando  has been rocking it out this year!!  He deserves the big thumbs up!

Just-Lisa-Now-_0-1611171557485.png

Orlando
Intuit Alumni

Thanks! But please know I'm just who you mostly interact with... behind the scenes I'm funneling 80% of these to the engineers on my team who are working like mad to deliver commitments AND look into these issues. Over time you'll see them in here more..

rbeck
Level 1

it's not a problem with the router blocking proseries.com. The feature works on every other year except 2020, which figures because that's the year all the horrible changes were made to proseries

0 Cheers