Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When will I be able to print NJ returns. Is there a way to print them now?

JE Laine
Level 2
When can I print 2021 New Jersey returns?  Is there a way to print them now?
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Rick1725
Level 3

Sorry I wish could help you but I don't know anything re: NJ. I must give credit where it is due, however. I'm from Massachusetts and Intuit pushed the date for printing and eFiling Mass returns from Feb 3 to Feb 24. I was vocal in my displeasure as were many others from various States. Well, they rolled it back to Feb 3 and HALLEJULIAH! Printing became available in the afternoon on Feb 2 and eFiling became available in the evening of Feb 2. They could have avoided a lot of anxiety by not changing the announced dates, but I'm grateful that we are now up to speed in Massachusetts.

I'm saying all this to you in the hope that you have a similar and expedient experience in New Jersey.

All the best to you and all tax preparers. It's only just beginning!

View solution in original post

65 Comments 65
FTAX
Level 5

It is an absolute disgrace.  Perhaps we should use this forum to organize and make demands of Intuit.  Tomorrow is February. What exactly are we supposed to tell clients expecting a copy of their return? (Which is an IRS mandate, by the way.) Yes, we CAN E-FILE NJ, but are we really ALLOWED to e-file a return which the client has not yet reviewed?   Why is Intuit allowing us to ILLEGALLY e-file returns that clients CANNOT review b/c they will not allow us to print?

Rick1725
Level 3

I agree it is a disgrace. We have exactly the same situation in Massachusetts and it just got worse.

EFile has been open in Mass since Jan 24. However, we can't print Mass returns until Feb 3. As of today Intuit now says we cannot print until Feb 24!!!! Are you kidding me!!! Totally unacceptable.

What are we supposed to do?

JE Laine
Level 2

This is definitely affecting my business as I am sitting with 6 - 12 unfinished returns that I would like to print, review and file.  It definitely is a disgrace.

JE Laine
Level 2

We may be able to print February 10th, February 17th or maybe the 12th of never.  Good luck with your Mass returns as well

moshe
Level 3

HELLO PROSERIES!

Can we please advise us on what date we will be able to print NJ returns?

JE Laine
Level 2

I know this is definitely not a viable option for everyone, but I am able to go on to the NJ division of taxation website and manually fill in the information on the NJ-1040 and print it out, but not submit it. It matches line for line with the return in Proseries.  I am able to give a copy of it to my clients to review and once things are signed and I have their approval I can then file it.  I just need to get these returns moving so my clients are not penalized because of Proseries or the state of NJ.  Once again, a watermark on the return in Proseries would alleviate all of this extra work.  I do not feel that it is fair to keep my clients waiting.  I am now in my 39th year of preparing taxes and this is unacceptable under any circumstances.

moshe
Level 3

Why can't proseries at least give us a date?

FTAX
Level 5

At this point, my assumption is that the answer would make us very angry so they think it is less painful for them to just keep stonewalling us. 

linda2
Level 5

Has there been any update as to when we can print NJ returns??

hankinstax
Level 5

New Jersey you are not in this alone.  Multiple threads identify state printing, or lack there of, is a major shortfall again this year for ProSeries.  My prayer's are with you.  

moshe
Level 3

Anyone have access to Lacerte software? Are you able to print NJ on Lacerte?

Spent hours on the phone with Proseries, and after all that they deflected the blame on New Jersey, that the NJ Department of taxation hasn't made it available yet to print.

Spoke to NJ, said that everything is ready on their end.....

Proseries, its your move next.....

Can we get a refund for all the days you haven't provided a product comparable to prior years?

Rick1725
Level 3

Sorry I wish could help you but I don't know anything re: NJ. I must give credit where it is due, however. I'm from Massachusetts and Intuit pushed the date for printing and eFiling Mass returns from Feb 3 to Feb 24. I was vocal in my displeasure as were many others from various States. Well, they rolled it back to Feb 3 and HALLEJULIAH! Printing became available in the afternoon on Feb 2 and eFiling became available in the evening of Feb 2. They could have avoided a lot of anxiety by not changing the announced dates, but I'm grateful that we are now up to speed in Massachusetts.

I'm saying all this to you in the hope that you have a similar and expedient experience in New Jersey.

All the best to you and all tax preparers. It's only just beginning!

danconti
Level 2

Thousands of dollars for allegedly professional software that does not work.

A class action lawsuit should be filed.

curt1
Level 4

Who knows...  I checked today (2/10) and the NJ 8879 release schedule was changed from 2/10 to 2/17:  https://myproconnect.intuit.com/releasedates

Turbo Tax users get much better support and communication than we loyal Proseries professionals do. Proseries just doesn't care enough to proactively communicate and/or get things done like other tax software companies. I don't see any reported issues with other tax platforms so the NJ delay must be Intuit/Proseries driven. An open/honest company would communicate the root cause and stand behind a fix date.

I guess that's what we should expect from the company that received the lowest customer support score on the annual AICPA tax software survey. Unfortunately, clients don't see or care about such surveys so we professionals bear the brunt of the dissatisfaction.  

FTAX
Level 5

At this point, anyone who returns to Proseries next year is like someone who catches Covid after being fully vaccinated and then rushes out for a booster shot.  'That you sir, may I have another?'

MyssKryss
Level 2

90% of my business involves NJ returns. Does anyone know if turbo tax has this issue?  I am stressing out.  I have 24 returns filed but waiting for print.  I can't bill so I wonder if Intuit would advance me my billings?

JE Laine
Level 2

Almost 100% of my business is NJ returns.  I have been going to NJ division of taxation and filling out the NJ1040 on line and printing it out so that my clients can have a copy of it.  Once they approve it and sign the 8879 for the IRS I am able to file NJ returns, satisfy my customer and collect my fee. It takes about 5 minutes longer per return but it worth it for my customers.

JE Laine
Level 2

Still waiting in NJ as of today, 2/10

dand13
Level 1

We have been with ProSeries for 24 years. This will be our last year using them. This is the straw that broke the camels back. Most expensive software on the market and worst customer service.

Anyone know about the following: UltraTax CS, Drake Tax, or CCH ProSystem fx Tax.

violajr
Level 3

I have evaluated all of these in past years and Proseries continues to be the most user friendly application on the Market.  I too have many NJ Tax Returns just waiting to be printed so I can get them out the door.  It is frustrating for sure.  The NJ-8879 form hasn't changed in years why is it delayed this year.  My guess is that this is a ploy by NJ from receiving tax returns as they are not ready.  I went to NJ Web-site and the 2021 version of the 9979 is not released there yet either.

It would be nice if Proseries went back to putting the watermark on the return says "Not final" or "DO NOT FILE" just so we can print the returns.  Not being able to print for our clients to review is a head ache.

Lets go Intuit get with the program and get this resolved.  Tax season is in full swing and this is causing pain to preparers.

Ban
Level 2

Dear JE,

Where on the NJ taxation site can one go to find the NJ 1040 to fill out.  And (question to myself) why does no one at Intuit seem able to fix this?

MyssKryss
Level 2

I too have been with ProSeries - started in the 90s.  Since I can't complete NJ state returns I have begun looking at other software companies on the internet.  Does anyone have experience with other software companies. As someone mentioned it is getting worse for professional clients each year.  Does anyone know if turbo tax has printing issues with NJ?

MyssKryss
Level 2

If there is a lawyer in our midst, I would sign up for a class action lawsuit.  I was thinking about using their QuickBooks instead of creating my own spreadsheets for my corporate clients, but not anymore.  I will continue with excel.  I am no longer happy with ProSeries professional after the past few years. Already looking for another software because my income stream has stopped once again this year and I have extra time available.

linda2
Level 5

I just prepared a North Carolina return and the form says "This form is not e-file ready but can be printed".  Why can't we do this for NJ???    

gm1
Level 2

When is NJ going to be ready?  This is ridiculous.  we waited untill the 10th, now pushing it to the 17 WHY??

Intuit is charging us a lot for their program.  They should deliver a better service.  Why do i have to make my clients wait while H&R Block next door is not?

danconti
Level 2

As this is an Intuit - Pro Series forum it is unlikely we will hear of other siftware options gere...

However, this is my LAST year with Pro Series.  I will devote a good protion of my off season time looking for an alternative for next year.  Others should consider doing the same. Money talks..

JE Laine
Level 2

NJ Division of Taxation - Individuals - search NJ1040 and fill it out.  Print but do not submit.  If needed you can also fill NJ 1040V and NJ 8879

moshe
Level 3

The worst thing that Proseries is doing, is that they are not telling us the date that we will be able to print NJ returns.

Where is the communication????

moshe
Level 3

Why would someone mark off this thread as solved?

Do they work for Proseries?

So, here it is, February 10th, the date on which the forms SHOULD have been finalized, and we STILL can't print them.  Is there ANYONE at ProSeries who can answer what the problem is?  We are almost halfway through February.  And this issue is STILL not fixed.  

curt1
Level 4

I consider switching every year but I'm afraid of the conversion effort.  I hear that Drake walks on water in terms of customer service but they were lacking some functionality last time I took a test drive.  Please let us know what you switch to and how your conversion goes.

GerbinoCPA
Level 1

So, which tax software will you be switching to next year?  We’re dropping Proseries like a bad habit!…Drake, ATX, TaxAct Professional??  LMK [email address removed] …thank you.

0 Cheers
kc
Level 2

I have used Proseries for over 20 years and will not be continuing next year. How can we still not be able to print NJ state returns and now they pushed the date back again till Feb 18th. I called yesterday, was read a printed script, asked for a supervisor and was told it would definitely be fixed by last night....It wasn't. We have over 150 tax returns that I can't deliver timely to my clients nor collect my fee when payroll is at it's highest. Their Lacerte version (much more expensive) works fine, so what does that tell us? Also no NJ Corp tax flow thru, no Form 990 working; said since we depend on them and they like your long term relationship but perhaps they have become too big and no one at the top cares!

Rick1725
Level 3

I hearby REJECT my "Answer Badge". I piped in from Massachusetts about the States not printing nor being available for Efile. Well, Intuit did accelerate the date for Mass (after first postponing it until Feb 24). We're doing OK now in Mass, but obviously the bigger problem is NOT solved. It remains unacceptable that any states are still waiting to print or eFile. I don't want your "atta boys". I just want better service for ALL tax preparers. I have been a ProSeries and QB customer for over 20 years, and I am insulted and unsatisfied. I feel for those who are still waiting.

Rick

kadcpa750
Level 2

This is terrible!  Clients don't understand why their friend who went to H&R Block has been able to file and get copies of their tax returns and I cannot give them that.  It makes me look bad and I could lose clients over this.  ProSeries has no care at all for their customers.  I am done with this software it gets worse every year. They don't even provide an explanation.

kadcpa750
Level 2

Agree!  I don't need no stinkin' badge I need software that WORKS!!!

0 Cheers
violajr
Level 3

So I went all ballistic on Support today.  Told them it was total BS That I can not even print the NJ returns.

Not saying it did anything but an update just came out and you can now print NJ.  

There is a catch.  You have to turn of Electronic Filling because the NJ-8879 is not finial but you can print the return now and send a copy to your client for review.  Still wont be able to eFile until the form is finalized but it is a start.

linda2
Level 5

Well, I'll be damned!  It works!  Just printed a NJ return--now on to the 25 others.

CYAccountant
Level 1

But the NJ8879 is still not able to be printed!

0 Cheers
Rick1725
Level 3

I just saw a NJ update! Could this be the fix. I hope so for all NJ preparers.

RollTide68
Level 8

You can print a blank one from the print center and just hand jam for now.

Screenshot 2022-02-11 145317.png

That is what I did for Alabama until they got it updated two days ago.

0 Cheers
anthonyhearn
Level 2

Maryland got fixed - NJ they put off another week that means I cant get out returns and do billing for another week - The forms are the same as last year, but we can't print them

What is going on at ProSeries?  Driving me nuts and killing my cash flow

FTAX
Level 5

Why on Earth do you even BOTHER with NJ-8879?  It is NOT required by NJ!

0 Cheers
MyssKryss
Level 2

HOOOOORAY!  NJ is printing. It was kind of you to let us know. I just printed 5 NJ returns that have been waiting.  Got to get back to printing.  Thanks again for letting us know.  I called this morning to complain, got the name and address of the CEO and will be writing to explain my frustration.  There were no big law changes so why the printing issues?  Any why only us as a group?

0 Cheers
anthonyhearn
Level 2

My NJ 1040's are not printing - I just downloaded any updates - I got nothing

Unsure How you are doing it

0 Cheers
MyssKryss
Level 2

Check your print settings.  Perhaps you had tried pdf and not reverted.  I have printed over 9 returns.  On one return it would not print the NJ return because the payment voucher was not final so I skirted that one and at lease printed the return.  Do a print preview and see if one of the forms is not available to print.  For me that one form was a payment voucher but it may be another form  I read where one member had problems with a form 8879.

0 Cheers
anthonyhearn
Level 2

Yeah - I had to reinstall all the updates, but now I can print

Amen - Now I remember if you use the cloud - Right Networks - I had the same issue last year

0 Cheers
bella1
Level 1

IT IS SAD THAT WE CANNOT PRINT NJ AT THIS TIME.  CANNOT MAIL COPY OF THE RETURNS TO CLIENTS, HOW LONG DO WE HAVE TO WAIT???

MyssKryss
Level 2

Try updating NJ again.  Yesterday after calling and complaining again, I was able to begin printing in the evening and printed about 10 returns.  There was one NJ return which had a form which was not finalized and it was a voucher form so I bypassed it and was able to print the remaining forms.  I am going to the NJ website now to get that voucher form and I will manually complete it just to get this return out the door.

0 Cheers