Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When to Amend a 2020 tax return?

jeanmarc
Level 3

I want to know if we should Amend this return or wait for IRS to send our client a letter about it. Long story short, due to some confusion, we accidentally e-filed a return without entering the income amount on a 1099-G (Unemployment compensation). After entering income amount on the 1099-G, the client's Federal tax Refund amount does not change. Therefore, I am wondering if we should Amend now or wait for contact from the IRS to the client.

FYI: The State was rejected so I was able to correct the 1099-G for that and retransmit the State with the correct information.

Thanks in Advance!

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

7 Comments 7
dkh
Level 15

Are you aware of the recent changes regarding unemployment wages ?  

jeanmarc
Level 3

Yes, has ProSeries been updated with this information?  I'll have to look at the tax because I think in his case he is getting a full refund of his Federal taxes paid anyway.

0 Cheers
dkh
Level 15

I wouldn't amend unless the unemployment exceeds the exclusion amount. 

clr600
Level 8

1040X will not be available until 3/18

jeanmarc
Level 3

Thanks, I checked the tax this morning and it does exceed the exclusion amount. I'll reach out to the client about amending. It appears ProSeries is no updated for the $10,200 unemployment exclusion amount, am I correct?

0 Cheers
dkh
Level 15
Not yet
jeanmarc
Level 3

Yes you're right, my confusion. Thanks!

0 Cheers