Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WHATS THE RECOMENDED ANTI VIRUS FOR PROSERIES

Tanyataxgirl
Level 3

I had to upgrade to a new computer, whats the recommended anti virus for  me to use

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

16 Comments 16
IRonMaN
Level 15

I think that is a personal preference that some folks have.  I don't think ProSeries minds too much as long as you are dealing with a brand name product.  But for the record, I would stay away from ACME Antivirus.  Speaking from experience, none of their products work very well. Smiley Wink

Slava Ukraini!
garman22
Level 13
Level 13

The Anvil is a decent product that works very well. 

itonewbie
Level 15

@garman22 wrote:

Anvil is definitely a solid product although it weighs heavy on the system.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
garman22
Level 13
Level 13

@itonewbie wrote:

@garman22 wrote:

Anvil is definitely a solid product although it weighs heavy on the system.

hahaha!! indeed!

Tanyataxgirl
Level 3

what does that mean? (Weighs down the system)?

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

I used Nortons for years with no issues and no special setup between the 2.    Then I had a system crash (not virus related, but  I bought a new computer anyhow) and while my IT guy was repairing/resurrecting the old system he found a few bad files that Nortons didnt catch, so I switched to ESET a few months ago...so far so good, I havent noticed any issues.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
IRonMaN
Level 15

He is talking anvils ------------------ no antivirus systems have those that I know of.  

Slava Ukraini!
itonewbie
Level 15

@Tanyataxgirl Don't take that seriously.  This is what we're referring to.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/334603447301198682/

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
IRonMaN
Level 15

I've been using Dell computers for years.  I go with whatever they currently offer.  For years it was Norton and these days it is McAfee.  I have used both without any issues over the years.

Slava Ukraini!
itonewbie
Level 15

Many products on the market are equally good although differences in their UI and complexity in the various settings may make some more user-friendly than others.

If you are a small practice, you may like to check this website which certifies AV products and read a couple of reviews (which often reference their findings): https://www.av-test.org/en/antivirus/home-windows/

If you are a practice that utilizes network and has a couple more devices you need to protect, you could also refer to the results here: https://www.av-test.org/en/antivirus/business-windows-client/windows-10/october-2019/

Still an AllStar
garman22
Level 13
Level 13

My IT guy says most Anti-Virus' are crap. They dont catch most things. I guess the best is pick the one with the least amount of holes and for us normal users, he recommended the free AVG. My personal preference is the same as Lisa's, Norton. 

Edit: If I would've read Lisa's all the way through,  I see she has changed. 

itonewbie
Level 15

In fact, a number of reports have lauded Windows Defender for being a well-developed internet security product (unlike its predecessors from the olden days) that users should no longer feel compelled to install additional software for protection.

For me, I always have at least 2 installed (no matter what they say about potential conflicts).

Still an AllStar
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

@garman22 wrote:

My IT guy says most Anti-Virus' are crap. They dont catch most things. I guess the best is pick the one with the least amount of holes and for us normal users, he recommended the free AVG. My personal preference is the same as Lisa's, Norton. 

Edit: If I would've read Lisa's all the way through,  I see she has changed. 

Ive used AVG in the past and was happy with it, I never noticed an issue with Nortons either, but my IT guy mentioned that hackers look for holes in the wider known AV programs, Nortons, McAfee, etc, and recommended ESET.     Unless Im just a dummy and download some email that I shouldnt (I did get an email from a client with a file attached and no description or wording the other day....I wont open it until I hear back from them that they really sent it), the chances of a virus hitting me, I feel, are super slim.....I've got cyber insurance now, hope I dont ever have to use it!

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
IRonMaN
Level 15

More than once I have deleted legit e-mails just because I don't open anything that I'm not expecting.  I would rather have a pissed off client than a hacked computer ------------------- there are times when even I won't run with scissors.  Smiley Happy

Slava Ukraini!
itonewbie
Level 15

Even with existing clients, all documents sent via legit emails are scanned by at least 2 AV software before I'd open them.  Can't be too careful these days.

Still an AllStar
Bert
Employee
Employee

ProSeries really does not care that much about Anti-virus software being used. The more important thing is excluding the ProSeries data folder from being realtime scanned.