Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's with the 2020 990N?

IRonMaN
Level 15

Why do you need an officer Social Security number to file a 990N this year?  In the past, you just needed a name and an address of an officer but this year it won't let you e-file without the number.  When I look on the IRS website it says "you'll need only eight items of basic information about your organization" to file the 990N ------------- and an officer Social Security number isn't one of the magical 8 items.  Is this another Intuit thing or what is going on?

Slava Ukraini!

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

10 Comments 10
PATAX
Level 15

Iron Man I think there are other posts with similar issues with the 990 form that others have posted... I wonder if you disable the error conversion checking box if it will let you e-file it and be accepted .... I hope they straighten this out since there appears to be now mandatory e-filing for the 990 return... lots of issues this year... Just my opinion

IRonMaN
Level 15

But that is the beauty of this place - I did a search and came up with a pile of useless nothing.  I did try killing the error checking, but that didn't get me over that hump.

Slava Ukraini!
PATAX
Level 15

In my opinion... Pro Series has dropped the ball this year...🏈👎

BobKamman
Level 15

How is Intuit involved?

How much does it cost to file Form 990-N?

Form 990-N can be filed for free at IRS.gov. There is no paper form.

https://www.irs.gov/charities-non-profits/annual-electronic-notice-form-990-n-for-small-organization... 

IRonMaN
Level 15

Yeah, but you have to setup an account to do that for each organization.  As many people say here "I pay good money for this software", how come I just can't do a simple 990N without asking someone (who volunteers their time at a non-profit) for their height, weight, and Social Security number?  And for some of these dinky operations, you have a new person every year so this becomes a pain for something that should be painless.

Slava Ukraini!
PATAX
Level 15

You are right Iron Man... That is one of the issues with some nonprofit entities, some of them keep changing their treasurer, president, etc... as soon as one of them learns exactly what to do , they leave a a new one comes in and the learning curve starts all over again... I agree with you Iron Man.

IRonMaN
Level 15

I suppose I could always call support and ask about it.

Yeah, right.  I haven't had enough anvils hit me in the head yet to make me resort to that. 😰

Slava Ukraini!
BobKamman
Level 15

The login ID and password you are creating are for your personal use - to file the organization’s Form 990-N. With your login ID and password, you may file a Form 990-N for multiple organizations without the need to register for each organization. The login ID and password belong to you, not to the organization for which you are filing.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p5248.pdf 

IRonMaN
Level 15

Thanks Bob - good to know.  That’s a good work around but the mystery of why Intuit requires a Social Security number still remains.

Slava Ukraini!
BobKamman
Level 15

For all I know, the IRS site will also require SSN's.  That may be why Intuit requires them.  Let us know if you find out.