Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the best way to submit a tax return of over 500 pages due to Form 8949

ihc
Level 1

Hello,

What is the best way to submit a tax return of over 500 pages due to Form 8949?

One of my client is a day trader of stocks and in 2020, he sent about 500 pages of Form 8949.

It can't be e-filed because the software can't handle large numbers.

Please share your experience if you've been through a similar case.

Thank you.

0 Cheers
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

so they hit the 1 billion mark?   PS can handle up to 999,999,999. 

Id summarize and attach the 1099B to the return if paper filing (you may have to use the 8949 from IRS and manually input the figures and do the math....Im not sure PS will accommodate anything in the billions).

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

View solution in original post

6 Comments 6
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

so they hit the 1 billion mark?   PS can handle up to 999,999,999. 

Id summarize and attach the 1099B to the return if paper filing (you may have to use the 8949 from IRS and manually input the figures and do the math....Im not sure PS will accommodate anything in the billions).

ljr
Level 8

Did the client also give you the broker statements 1099-B forms? I would work from their rather than his versions of form 8949 and I would do summary totals per type (covered s/t) and use multiple 1099-B worksheets. Each one up to the 999,999,999 amount. As long as all the sales total and the basis total I would go with it. I would then make a copy of the 1099-B check off the box in proseries that it's being sent and mail it to Austin Tx.

Jim-from-Ohio
Level 11

Does the level of activity rise to a level be being in business?  Would that qualify for schedule C treatment? 

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
The income still goes on Sch D/8949, only the expenses would land on Sch C.

George4Tacks
Level 15
0 Cheers
ihc
Level 1

Yes, that's what I have done and planning to call the IRS if they need the entire 8949s.

Thank you

0 Cheers