Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is capital gains rate on the sale of home

KMACK
Level 4

I have a client with no taxable income (her taxable social security and pension combined are less than her standard deduction).  However, she sold a home for $1,400,000 that she purchased in 1973 with a cost basis of less than $100,000.  With her exclusion her capital gain on the sale is close to $1,000,000.

Does she have to pay capital gains tax on this transaction?

KMACK

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sjrcpa
Level 15

Maximum rate is 20%. Work thru the Sch D tax worksheet to get the exact amount.

Ex-AllStar

View solution in original post

16 Comments 16
sjrcpa
Level 15

Maximum rate is 20%. Work thru the Sch D tax worksheet to get the exact amount.

Ex-AllStar
abctax55
Level 15

Yes.   And the rate isn't any 'different' than the rate on any other LTCG.

Can I assume you've asked about improvements over that time line?

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
abctax55
Level 15

Same house you've been asking about the last few days?

https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/proseries-discussions/discussion/re-inherited-home-form-1041...

( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers
KMACK
Level 4

Ok.  I thought the rate might be lower or zero if she had no taxable income.

0 Cheers
KMACK
Level 4

Different house.

0 Cheers
KMACK
Level 4

Is the rate lower if the client otherwise has not taxable income?

0 Cheers
Accountant-Man
Level 12

<<Does she have to pay capital gains tax on this transaction?>>

Why wouldn't she pay tax? She made over $1MM in gain. You do know the maximum exclusion, right?

Her federal taxes on the gain would be part zero, part 15%, part 20%.

** I'm still a champion... of the world! Even without The Lounge.
KMACK
Level 4

Okay.  So some of the gain would be at the lower rate.

0 Cheers
KMACK
Level 4

Got it.  Thanks.

0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15

It IS lower... depending on all other income.  20% is the MAX on just the gain; the other income can be pushed into a higher bracket due to such a large gain.  As Susan said, you should spend a bit of time running thru the Sch D worksheet of the computation of the tax.

( Generic Comment )"
itonewbie
Level 15

Agree with Susan and Anna.

If there was depreciation taken on or after May 7, 1997, there'd be unrecaptured §1250 subject to a max of 25%.

Given the property was purchased back in 1973, she may also have §1250 recapture, subject to tax as ordinary income, if depreciation was taken in excess of straight line.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
dkh
Level 15

Why not just enter the information into the tax return and see what the outcome is? 

rbynaker
Level 13

@abctax55 wrote:

It IS lower... depending on all other income.  20% is the MAX on just the gain; the other income can be pushed into a higher bracket due to such a large gain.  As Susan said, you should spend a bit of time running thru the Sch D worksheet of the computation of the tax.

And there will also be the side effect of making 85% of SS taxable (as opposed to the 0% she's used to) so the effective tax rate will be higher than the marginal capital gains tax rate.

But I have trouble feeling too bad here, she made over $1M.

TaxGuyBill
Level 15

@rbynaker wrote:.

But I have trouble feeling too bad here, she made over $1M.

I point out to the clients the opposite ... it is a GOOD thing that she made over $1M.  Yes, there will be a lot of tax, but that is a HUGE amount of profit.

@KMACK   Was she ever married?  If so, does a step-up in Basis apply for her spouse's ownership when he died?

abctax55
Level 15

GOOD point Bill...

( Generic Comment )"
itonewbie
Level 15

@TaxGuyBill wrote:

I point out to the clients the opposite ... it is a GOOD thing that she made over $1M.  Yes, there will be a lot of tax, but that is a HUGE amount of profit.

Reminds me of Ross Perot, if anyone still remembers the campaign he ran.  He said something to the effect of having to pay tax on his income was a good thing.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar