Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We're going to hear some kind of IRS announcement tomorrow regarding the May 17th extended date

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

I got a bad feeling they're going to kick the can down the road to July again.

IRS is just too overwhelmed to handle it all.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

21 Comments 21
dascpa
Level 11

So am I.  Worst tax season in my 39.  Not due to unemployment or other COVID items, just every client is more difficult to complete, taking longer.  Using a Client Portal has become a nightmare.  Hundreds of clients uploading 25-100 documents each.  Takes full-time to download, sort, etc.  Also can't control how many returns in a day. Could be 1 upload, could be 50.  Accounting Practice Sales - where are you?????

jeffmcpa2010
Level 11

Last week I sent letters to all my clients not in yet, telling them about the May 17 date,

but that between moving and planned vacations if their return is not done by April 15, I would be unavailable until late summer.

Getting ready for semi-retirement is freeing!

TaxGuyBill
Level 15

Is there any indication it is going to be further extended?

If not, it COULD just be the "official" Revenue Notice (or whatever) about the extension.  All we have now is an unofficial "press release".

IRonMaN
Level 15

That sounds good!  I used to love playing kick the can as a kid and after this tax season I long for the days of playing it.  As a matter of fact, let's live dangerously and start up a game of lawn darts while we are at it.

Slava Ukraini!
rbynaker
Level 13

Makes me want to watch Twilight Zone: The Movie.  I haven't seen that in ages.

Tax season TY2020:  You wanna see something *really* scary?

PATAX
Level 15

👍dascpa...it appears that many taxpayers with easier returns are using free e-file, Vita, Etc... And we are stuck with the more difficult returns... Just my opinion...

IRonMaN
Level 15

But this year, even my easy returns seem to have twists and turns that didn't exist in prior years.  I bought a DeLorean last week and now I'm saving up for a flux capacitor and then I am heading back to better tax seasons.

Slava Ukraini!
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

@IRonMaN wrote:

then I am heading back to better tax seasons.

You mean you are heading back to before you became a tax preparer?  😂

rbynaker
Level 13

@IRonMaN wrote:

But this year, even my easy returns seem to have twists and turns that didn't exist in prior years.  I bought a DeLorean last week and now I'm saving up for a flux capacitor and then I am heading back to better tax seasons.

The tough part is finding the plutonium.

There's really no end in sight.  Even if we do ever finish with the 2020 returns, the 2021 returns will be just as bad.  Not only will be have to reconcile EIP3 (and 4, 5, 6?) we'll also have to reconcile advance child tax credits.  And then I'm sure there will be all sorts of new tax laws undoing the laws from the previous administration and then more laws undoing what the previous administration already undid from the previous previous administration . . . where does it end!  I think with me in the Looney Bin.

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Nah, I think they'll just be announcing that the new payment date has been fixed, but they are super deep in the weeds with processing, so you never know!

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
BobKamman
Level 15

But, does anyone really know when tomorrow is?

All day I've been thinking that today was Thursday but then the Elders of Inuit told us when the state returns would be updated, listing "States planned for Friday, March 25:"

Remind me, if March 25 comes on a Thursday this year, doesn't that mean it comes on a Friday next year?  Maybe that's what they are telling us. 

sjrcpa
Level 15

@dascpa Who in their right mind would want to buy?

Ex-AllStar
TAXOH
Level 11

"I think with me in the Looney Bin."  

Just yesterday when a client called and scheduled an appointment with me, I told them if I wasn't here they could find me at Akron General Psych Ward.

dascpa
Level 11

Mentioned previously had client ask if my tax returns were COVID virus free.  Today I had my first client come in wearing full hazmat suit.  It's a strange world out there.

IRonMaN
Level 15

You win.  Unless somebody comes up with their client showing up as "bubble boy", I don't think anybody can be beat that one.

Slava Ukraini!
rbynaker
Level 13

The May 17th date is fake news and was leaked as part of a sting operation.  There has been no change in the due date, all returns must be filed by 4/15/21.

dascpa
Level 11

Forgot to add - this woman wearing the hazmat suit already had both shots. And - we know the type - $6,000 Schedule C that took as much time as auditing IBM or Exxon.

PATAX
Level 15

Maybe he was just getting off work from a nuclear power plant...😃👍

BobKamman
Level 15

It must be really important if they are waiting this late on a Friday afternoon

IRonMaN
Level 15

Maybe they are doing an early April fools joke.

Slava Ukraini!
rbynaker
Level 13

Maybe it was the PPE=Medical announcement?  I've gotten at least 3 different IRS emails about it today.