Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wash Sale Losses - Can I used the summary to report Capital Gains and Losses if the 1099-B shows some disallowed wash sale losses. The instructions seem unclear on how to make the entries.

paulcopeland
Level 1

0 Cheers
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

I just make a summarized entry that includes the wash sales in the proper box

washsaleentry.png

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

View solution in original post

9 Comments 9
itonewbie
Level 15

That's what I do and attach the details.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
Norman2001
Level 7

I report all of the sales, except for the wash sales, in the summary. Then I enter the wash sales separately on the 1099-B worksheet. 

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

I just make a summarized entry that includes the wash sales in the proper box

washsaleentry.png

linduca1216
Level 7

Typically I have entered the wash sales separately but this time for long-term transactions, I about collapsed when I saw how many there were.  Am thinking I will do a one-line entry on the worksheet and attach the reporting statement to the return.  The adjustment amounts are ridiculous.... .08,.04,.28, etc.  Will I go to IRS jail?

0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

I just subtract the wash amount from the cost basis.  I suspect IRS is just looking to make sure the gross proceeds reported by the broker match the amount shown on the return.  If they are matching the cost also, why would they send a notice if the amount is less?  Well, if I'm wrong, see you in jail.  

IRonMaN
Level 15

I have been reporting it the same way as Lisa and without making any attachments

Slava Ukraini!
sjrcpa
Level 15

Me, too.

Ex-AllStar
sjrcpa
Level 15

@BobKamman "Well, if I'm wrong, see you in jail.Around here we call that CAGMC - Come And Get Me Coppers - from our dear departed friend Chuck.

Ex-AllStar
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

oh that was last year, Ive gotten lazier, if its a covered sale I just reduce the basis by the wash and plunk it in the Covered boxes at the top of the screen.