Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

W2 no federal income, state income and withholding

hillsboro15269
Level 4

I've got a client.

They have a W2 that has nothing entered in boxes 1-13, but it does have state wages in box 16, and state withholding in box 17. 

Does anyone here have experience with this?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

5 Comments 5
Skylane
Level 11
Level 11

Most likely there's another page to the W2. Check w/ you client.

If at first you don’t succeed…..find a workaround
0 Cheers
hillsboro15269
Level 4

That was my first thought, too. But no. 

This is income they get for taking care of their disabled daughter, if that helps?

0 Cheers
justwanttoknow
Level 2

Had two of those so far.  Not sure it was the correct way to handle it, but just put $1 in the federal wage box and it went thru.

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Is she caring for the daughter as part of a Medicaid waiver program?  If so, then it may be done that way due to IRS Notice 2014-7 and those wages are excludable for federal purposes....in CA, the state does not tax them either, maybe your state does tax them which would explain the odd W2.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
hillsboro15269
Level 4

Just-Lisa-Now, yes, and you are a Champion!

I was actually thinking that, but I didn't think my state taxed that sort of income, either. There are withheld state taxes as well as state income, so I think I'm going to call the state and ask them. And if it is taxable for state purposes, I'll enter $1 for federal.

Thanks.