Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VA locality required for a NONRESIDENT?????

Bob53371
Level 1

Why does VA non resident return require a VA locality?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

16 Comments 16
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

If you click the yellow ? on the toolbar when youre in that entry box, you'll find this

vanonresident.png

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
Charles S
Level 2

Good evening,

What if there is NO income derived from VA sources and you are required to enter a VA County or City?  ProSeries requires this for e-filing.

Please advise.

Thank you.

C Schulman

sjrcpa
Level 15

"if there is NO income derived from VA sources" why are you filing a VA nonresident return?

Ex-AllStar
Charles S
Level 2

Thank you.  However ALT H does the same thing.  The instructions still do NOT tell you what to put in if there is NO Virginia income from a Schedule C that needs to be included in the VA Nonresident tax return.

Much appreciate your quick response.

Thank you again.

Charles S

0 Cheers
Charles S
Level 2

Also, in regard to your question, there is pass-through passive income from a K-1 that is VA source income.  This is in addition to my Schedule C income in NY.

Thank you again.

Charles S

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

That K-1 is VA source income then. But I think you are saying the software wants a VA code for the Sch C.

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers
Charles S
Level 2

Good morning,

I have a K-1 that has VA income and VA taxes withheld.  This necessitates the need to file a VA Nonresident tax return.  I also have Schedule C income that is strictly NY-source income and has NO relevancy to VA.  However, the VA tax return carries over the Schedule C info from my 1040 onto form VA FED/CG.  Therefore, VA is seeking on line 5 a First Schedule Locality from the drop-down menu.  They do NOT accept 0300 as a code.  Only localities from the drop-down menu.  There is NO "Out of State:" here.

Intuit has been no help for over 60 minutes so far.

Charles

0 Cheers
LMH
Level 3

I have the same situation,  Did you ever receive an answer for this issue?  Sc C is MD income - no out of state choice.

0 Cheers
Charles S
Level 2

Intuit refuses to find the answer to this issue.  When there is NO income allocated to VA, there should be a drop down "Out of State" as an answer.

0 Cheers
Charles S
Level 2

No response from Intuit.  Just very frustrating!!!!

0 Cheers
Springtax
Level 1

What did you end up doing? Intuit just left you hanging? I have the same problem and Virginia says I must use the code 0300.  

0 Cheers
Charles S
Level 2

Intuit leaves us all hanging here.  No correction to this problem.  I used a code closest to the East as a NY resident with VA source income.  I believe I used Alexandria.

LMH
Level 3

I believe I entered the code where the w-2 was earned but did not include the income on the VA non resident from the Sc C

0 Cheers
Charles S
Level 2

When there is no W-2, and you receive passive income or Schedule C income, the software requests where the income was earned.  There is no out of state code available for entry.  intuit refuses to fix the VA software issue. 

0 Cheers
Greta
Level 9

You are filing in Virginia only to get a refund? No taxes are owed? So it doesn't really matter which county you pick. The Dept of Taxation will pay the refund.

A couple of years ago there USED to be an "out of state" answer to this question, and for some reason this option vanished! So I have been using my own Virginia county (Rockbridge) and figured that the local Commissioner of Revenue will sort it out. Especially if no taxes re owed. Perhaps this is not a ProSeries issue, rather a Virginia Dept of Taxation irrational change.

0 Cheers
Charles S
Level 2

Thank you Greta.  Yes, the issue is a VA issue.  However, Intuit, being the company it is, should explain the situation and get it resolved.  It waste’s everyone’s time.  It should allow Out of State as a drop down choice.  Yes, many years ago, it was an option.

Stay well and safe.

charles

0 Cheers