Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Utah Resident works in Colorado - W-2 is "irregular"

chaz10s
Level 2

I am looking for someone who will work with me in ProSeries to prepare a Utah resident tax return with Part Year Colorado only income. Client lived and worked in CO. Got laid off. Collected CO unemployment. Moved to UT. Rehired to return to work in CO. All income is CO source. W-2 as issued did not work well in ProSeries and would like to run it by another set of eyes. Can someone assist? [phone # removed] cell

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

5 Comments 5
sjrcpa
Level 15

This is a public forum. Remove your phone number.

Ex-AllStar
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
So you have a UT resident return and a CO non resident return, did you fill in the resident and non resident state info at the bottom of the federal information worksheet? If you do that before switching over to the state returns, it may all flow better.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
chaz10s
Level 2

Hi Lisa - Thank you for responding. W-2 has a line for CO and wages of 56633 box 16 and SIT 2240 box 17. Next line State UT with wages 17467 box 16 and SIT 90 box 17. All wages (56633 box 1) earned in CO. I don't know what the 17467 represents for UT but employer says W-2 is correct. Taxpayer does receive travel pay to commute to CO of 400/mo. He works 2 wks on and 2 wks off and goes to UT where his family lives on off weeks. Total wages = 56633. ProSeries adds state wages together and makes UT wages 56633 + 17467 = 74100. Did Part Year residents on both returns. I did fill out dates of residency in each state on the Federal information worksheet. 

UT instructions state UT residents who earn income in other states must pay UT tax on that income. W-2 says 17467 but according to that statement shouldn't that include the CO income of 56633? UT residents then claim a credit for income tax paid to another state if that income is taxed twice. How is the income properly reported?

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Did the client LIVE in both states? Your original post made it sound like they only lived in UT, but worked in CO....if they didnt live in CO (or if they only lived there temporarily and kept permanent residence in UT), you wouldnt file a part year return for CO, youd file a non resident return for CO.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
chaz10s
Level 2

Sorry I was not clear. Client lived and worked and collected UE in Colorado until 8/1/20. Moved to UT. Was recalled to work at same job in CO where he commuted back and forth from UT to CO and given travel stipend of 400/mo. I filed CO DR-104, DR-104PN part year resident and UT TC-40, TC-40B part year resident returns. Client NEVER worked in UT. Employer and work site is in CO.

0 Cheers