Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Union Dues

linette
Level 5

Anybody keypunching Union Dues on the W-2?

Why is the system deducting these?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Union dues in Box 14 of the W2, used to send them to misc itemized deductions...but I see what youre saying, it automatically codes them as state taxes now, when therye not..

I'll let someone know this needs to be fixed.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
7 Comments 7
Skylane
Level 11
Level 11

Where are you entering it? Better answer is don’t.

If at first you don’t succeed…..find a workaround
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Union dues in Box 14 of the W2, used to send them to misc itemized deductions...but I see what youre saying, it automatically codes them as state taxes now, when therye not..

I'll let someone know this needs to be fixed.

0 Cheers
marni
Level 3

I don't code anything from box 14 - same reason.  

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Used to be handy when they went automatically to misc itemized deductions.

0 Cheers
linette
Level 5

Thank you!  

0 Cheers
linette
Level 5

I do use box 14 and to have it not work correctly is not acceptable.

As other pointed out with Union Dues auto going to miscellaneous deduction there are some things that can go in box 14 that need to be reported.

I think this is programmer error trying to program for state that will allow union dues, but it doesn't work.

0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

You do realize, of course, that Intuit programmers go to H&R Block for their own returns.  It doesn't do much good to explain (for example) that CA SDI in Box 14 should be entered for those who itemize, and does go to state taxes -- but that other items shown there are not in the same category. 

I just did a return with Housing Allowance listed there.  (Church W-2; taxpayer is clergy.)  Now I'm wondering, just hypothetically, whether union dues on a clergy return could be used as a deduction for self-employment tax.  That would be fun to explain to a programmer.  And yes, the clergy do have unions in Great Britain and Canada.  Not sure about this country, yet.  

0 Cheers