Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unemployment exclusion being double counted in state returns

FrankK
Level 4

Apologies if this is a duplicate post.  I tried several keyword searches and did not hit what I was looking for.  

I noticed that on VA and CA returns that I am preparing, Pro Series Basic is double deducting the federal exclusion for unemployment compensation.  Example:

TP has $30.2K of gross income, including $10.2K of unemployment comp. Federal return correctly subtracts the $10.2K exclusion, and calculates AGI as $20K.

VA and CA start with Federal AGI, and both subtract the $10.2 federal exclusion, thus, double subtracting.  My clients would appreciate this if it were correct.  When can we expect a bug fix?

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

20 Comments 20

I am wondering the same thing!  I have not heard anything about any update that will fix this glitch.  Tried to call ProSeries this morning but the wait time was not worth it when this busy!

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Ive been adding the excluded amount back to CA on the Sch CA worksheet, Line 8F

I dont know how VA works.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

I've been thinking of doing that - it beats waiting forever.  It would be nice to hear from ProSeries about it on this forum though....

IRonMaN
Level 15

They issued an alert this morning in your software saying they were waiting on states to decide what to do.  So that means you have to figure stuff out on your own until they update your state.

Slava Ukraini!
rbynaker
Level 13

Hey Frank!

I haven't heard anything from VA Tax yet about how they want us to present this on the tax return.  I'd guess we'll either reduce the VA subtraction to the net amount of UI included on the federal return, or we'll keep the full subtraction and add some sort of other addition.

Richmond has a bunch of stuff to update us on with conformity passing last week, so hopefully this will be included in the mix.

I've been working on my TX and WA clients.

Love a little humor in my day, especially with all of this going on!!! Walmart joke made me laugh!

IRonMaN
Level 15

The way things are going this year, it may not be a joke ☹️

Slava Ukraini!
FrankK
Level 4

This should be a no-brainer for states that historically do not tax unemployment compensation.

With respect to the states that do, I read that SC expects us to add it back, since SC does tax unemployment compensation.

rbynaker
Level 13
FrankK
Level 4

Papa John's is hiring drivers...

The_AntiTax_Man
Level 8

@rbynaker  stay tuned...

anyone know if proseries gonna fix it?

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

Eventually.  

Slava Ukraini!
ValK
Level 1

I have been waiting for Intuit to correct this CA state unemployment error but the client files are increasing so I may try the fix on the adjustment schedule also.  I hate that Intuit is not responding to this problem.  I love the Walmart joke -- gave me a chuckle.

IRonMaN
Level 15

This tax season you need to smile once in awhile in order to keep you from crying.

Slava Ukraini!
The_AntiTax_Man
Level 8

PS20 is now deducting the Unemployment off of the Iowa return.  So, following the federal rule.

0 Cheers
JRC
Level 8

Happy to report the Wisconsin is very quick to notify us on on how to make corrections to these changes. Unfortunately when Intuit makes their changes to the program we have to be careful with our prior corrections that we already made.

Retirement is sounding good right about now...

FrankK
Level 4

The unemployment compensation bug appears to be fixed in today's update to ProSeries Basic.  I checked two states (VA and CA).  I have not checked ProSeries Pro yet.

0 Cheers
dbelling
Level 3

It is doing the same on my returns.  when I save and efile I go back and check the return and UCE is doubled.  I sure hope this is not what was sent to the IRS....what a mess.

0 Cheers
The_AntiTax_Man
Level 8

Iowa: Unemployment Compensation Exclusion

Because Iowa is a state that automatically conforms with the Internal Revenue Code, certain unemployment compensation will not be included in Iowa income. Based on the federal legislation, the first $10,200 of unemployment compensation income is excluded from taxation for qualifying taxpayers.

Because the federal legislation was enacted subsequent to many taxpayers filing their returns, taxpayers were unable to take advantage of this change. As a result and to assist these taxpayers, the Department will begin making unemployment compensation related automatic adjustments. The adjustment process may take up to 90 days due to cross-checking these amounts against 1099s and validating eligibility to ensure accuracy and eliminate fraud.

Taxpayers will not need to file an amended Iowa tax return if their only adjustment pertains to unemployment compensation. Taxpayers filing an original 2020 individual income tax return should report the unemployment compensation exclusion amount on Form IA 1040, line 14, using a code of M.