Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unemployment Adjustment

grossie
Level 5

Is my understanding correct that the IRS will reimburse taxpayers for the UC adjustment.

Amended returns will not need to be filed?

Thank you.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
10 Comments 10
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

https://twitter.com/IRSnews/status/1373696157814296581/photo/1

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
Camp1040
Level 10

I am so happy I don't use that tweeter thing😊😊

grossie
Level 5

Thank you.

0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15

🐦🐦

@Camp1040  - THOSE are the emojis you should have use....

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
qbteachmt
Level 15

Just to clarify: "that the IRS will reimburse taxpayers for the UC adjustment"

Uh, no. The expectation is they will rework the tax filing to "do the math" if something is filed incorrectly (such as, before the form calculations were updated for the UI exclusion).

The use of the word "reimburse" is a bit problematic. That isn't what happens.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers
jclark11
Level 3

The problem is a previous filing of mfj should be amended or superseded tax return should be filed because mfs will get some of them under the threshold and get to excluded the full amount.

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

"The problem is a previous filing of mfj should be amended"

The IRS has emphatically stated in more than one place and on more than one occasion that you are not supposed to Amend at this time. That's not a problem; that's not even necessary right now.

0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15

Michele, @jclark11 is referring to a situation whereby switching from MFJ to MFS may be beneficial due to the new UCE.  In those cases, the switch must be done by either an amended or (IMHO) a superseding return.  It is not a scenario that the IRS will do for the taxpayer.

( Generic Comment )"
qbteachmt
Level 15

When one posted is in someone else's topic, it helps not to confuse things by posting what does not apply.

The OP asked about amendment, too. That is not the same as the comment regarding splitting a return. These are separate issues.

Should you amend a return for the UI exception: No, the IRS asked you not to do this.

Should you amend a return to Change the filing status: Perhaps. That's something to analyze.

0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15

You quoted @jclark11 - and his/her comment was specific to the MFJ & MFS situation.  

I agree that mixing/matching in the same thread is confusing.  

I'm documenting that, with regards to jclark's post, waiting for the IRS is not an option.

( Generic Comment )"