Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unemployment Adjustment by IRS

cpazott
Level 3

Hello Tax Preparers,

Received my fourth email today from a client wondering when their IRS unemployment adjustment refund will show up.

I have several clients that received their refund in early June.

I have been unable to find any IRS guidance on the matter.  Refunds still being processed??? Timeline??? Amend????

Any kind advice would be appreciated! 😎

0 Cheers
8 Comments 8
qbteachmt
Level 15

You can read this topic:

https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/proseries-tax-discussions/discussion/16-7-million/00/169961

And I don't know what happened; your topic is really difficult to read. Some stranger color, font and size choice happened there.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
BobKamman
Level 15

For one thing, they're doing the single and HH returns before the MFJ and MFS returns.  What is the filing status of those who received refunds already, and of those who are calling you?   

qbteachmt
Level 15

OMG: All of the text is weird, now!

JeffWCPA
Level 1

I agree that I also read that Single Filing Status returns are getting processed in the first waves initially, followed by Married Filing Status returns getting processed sometime after that......

With the way the IRS has been processing anything since Covid-19 struck in March of 2020, heaven only knows what their processing schedule or regimen is???  Nothing is being done uniformily by the IRS with regard to Stimulus payment processing, so why would the IRS be any more efficient or logical in the processing of amended returns to adjust for the March 2021 tax law change pertaining to the taxability of Unemployment Benefits???

dkh
Level 15

Not that this will help, just some random info to share - talked with client (MFJ simple return) yesterday that has not received the adjustment.  Today another client (MFJ simple return) notified me their adjustment refund is pending.   

0 Cheers
cpazott
Level 3

Taxpayers who have NOT received unemployment income tax adjustment

Single, Married and Head of Household.  

0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

But which client came first in alphabetical order and in ZIP Code order?

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

"Single, Married and Head of Household."

Yes, everything is delayed. Did you read the info at the topic I linked to already?

The best you can do is have your clients use the Online IRS Account to see whatever status is there, which is simply busy-work to help them realize they can have the same first-hand knowledge you would have. They don't need to keep bugging you for something you are not processing.