Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to open file

mikeecpa
Level 1

Does anyone know how to fix a client ProSeries 1040 file that I'm unable to open? The return is complete, but I receive an "Unable to open file. Restart ProSeries" message, which I've tried with no success. I'm using Basis for this return. Any insight will be greatly appreciated. 

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

3 Comments 3
IRonMaN
Level 15

Is it just one file?  Have you tried opening other clients to see if you have access?  Do you have a backup of the client, just in case the file is corrupted and you need to restore it to when it was working?  

Slava Ukraini!
JohnJ47
Level 1

I have just encountered the same problem. I am unable to open a client I had just made changes to prior to submitting it for electronic filing but get the same message "unable to read data, restart the program" or words to that effect. My file is probably corrupt as my keyboard froze and I turned the machine off. I do not have a backup of the current year file. I suppose I might have to delete the file for 2019, go back to the 2018 file and transfer it to 2019 again and start over? Any help?

0 Cheers
DTNY07
Level 7

I have been using Pro Series Professional since 2006.  I had this problem a few times the last few years, but none this year.  Unfortunately, there was nothing that could be done.  Which annoyed me greatly.  If someone knows a solution, I'd love to know of it.

0 Cheers