Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to efile 2019 amended return

dsocpa
Level 5

Trying to efile a 2019  amended 1040X.  Followed the steps outlined on the community site to prepare and file the return.  Everytime I attempt to efile I get a message the original return has to be file first.  The return was filed, there is a completed form 9325 in the data file but I can't seem to figure out how to reset the file to accept the original return was filed.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

10 Comments 10
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Are you using that same original file as the amended?

Have you updated the program?

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
dsocpa
Level 5

I followed the instructions found on the forum.  Save the original return changing the name.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
right, but you dont use that renamed file, you amend the original file.....this making a copy part seems to trip lots of people up.

dsocpa
Level 5

Thank you Lisa!  Will try right now and let you know.

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
be sure youve unchecked he EF boxes on that copy you made, or you'll get a Duplicate SSN message in the EFCenter.

dsocpa
Level 5

Well, I'm getting close.  No longer getting the "no efiled return" message.  Now I'm getting a message about the signature date.  "Year of PrimarySignatureDT" in the return header must be equal to the processing year.  I've searched high and lo for the date that might be impacting the filing.  I have in my preparer info. for the program not to include dates in the signature fields because I have the client date the signature pages when they sign.  The only place I found a 2020 signature date was in the field for the client or preparer to enter a PIN.  Since that is the only message I'm receiving on the reject notice I'm at a loss as to what I need to correct.

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
You need to change the Efile Authorization PIN date to the current date...its still got the date from when the original was filed entered in that spot. Then be sure to have the clients sign the new 8879.

dsocpa
Level 5

Efiled successfully.  Thanks so much Lisa.

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Thats great! Youre welcome. 🙂

0 Cheers

In regards to the confirmation Submission ID that appears after you e-file, the correct Submission ID for the Amended appears on Form 9325, but the date of filing appears to be that from the original filing. Do you know if this is just another quirk in the system? There does not seem to be a separate line dedicated for just the Amended returns.

0 Cheers