Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trial balance

Rowtax
Level 2

Trial balance setup....under the import menu....the Accountants Trial Balance feature still works, but the program terminates if the SELECT FILE button is pressed...the program has been reinstalled multiple times with Intuit tech support...Tech support says to report this as program defect...This feature works perfectly in all previous years, as verified with Intuit tech support.  Been using this feature for more than 20 years...always worked perfectly.  All security was disabled by my tech support in house...So...security interference is NOT the answer here...something is wrong with the program.  This feature is so, so very IMPORTANT to our business...If we can't import trial balance info, we can't have a good tax season...Our production will slow to a crawl if we have in enter by hand.  Please fix this feature ASAP

18 Comments 18
Rowtax
Level 2

This is a very very important feature...needs to be fixed

ChrisTaxpro
Level 1

We also cannot emphasize enough how important this feature is...Please fix it right away...we can't work without it

IntuitGabi

Thanks for the information @Rowtax 
We're investigating this. 

**Did this answer your questions? If so, select "Accept as solution".
Katherine_513
Level 1

Thank you so much for confirming this!   We have used this for 20 + years as well and have just been going crazy trying to figure out why it wasn't working - now we know it's them not us.   I hope they can repair this issue soon!!!

Rowtax
Level 2

By the way...we usually make a copy of the ATBWU client file then go into that new copy, close the year and then do our journal entries in the new year's copy, then in Proseries, we change the import file to the newly created ATBWU file....that way, we preserve the prior year trial balance ...

But, with this new problem with the Proseries program, we found out that at least we can keep the program pointed to the existing (prior year ) trial balance location....We expect a program update on 2/16/23, and are hoping that they fix this issue...but until then, we are going into ATBWU, and closing the existing file and doing the 2022 journal entries and importing from there...so, at least that part still works...Try that till they get the program working again...We spent over $6500 for a program that does not work like prior years....

Remember that tenkeyatb.com   is a cloud based version of ATBWU...so , if you ever lose your XP machine access to ATBWU, there is a modern version....I have not used it since my version is still working like a champ.  Good Luck

jjfcpa1
Level 2

Spent an hour on a call with support regarding the change made to the import trial balance option.

In essence, the support agent had no information regarding the changes that were made.  We were able to determine what the change was and fix our import file so it now works properly.

Not sure how you will get the fix made to Accountants Trial Balance to generate a file in the proper format since it is no longer supported.  

sonnypsu
Level 3

We are having a major issue with our TB export files too.  We can export them from Workpapers CS and import them.  If any changes are made to the TB and exported again then Proseries tries to automatically import the changes and then freezes and kicks off a generic 10250 error.  Have spent over 20+ hours on the phone with tech support.  No fix or reason why it's happening.  It only started about a week and a half ago.  Everything was fine prior.  Been using this feature and the TB txt export files for 20+ years with no issues ever until this year.

I have done a fresh reinstall, tried all the tech support changes/fixes and nothing has worked.  I have over 5 tax client files that are now useless.  I deleted the TB export file and can open the return, but I can't save any changes.  I've even backed up all the tax return files and restored them from when they were working and now they kick off the 10250 error and are useless.  I'm pulling my hair out.  I'm completely at a stand still on preparing corporate returns and am loosing money by the day.  This import feature is vital to our tax prep business.  If it's not fixed soon, I'm going to have a lot of angry clients and that is going to force me to switch tax software which pains me to even consider.

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

"I'm completely at a stand still on preparing corporate returns"

Why are you at a stand still?  You can always manually enter data instead of believing you are dead in the water.

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
sonnypsu
Level 3

Yes but that would take me 8 hours for one return what normally takes me 30 minutes.  Not an option.  Plus the clients we work on change multiple accounts as we are working on the returns.  It's a fluid system.

Plus not to mention that we have multiple returns that are now corrupted that we can not process (e-file) and we can not print and finalize their audit reports and ultimately bill them.

I wish our corporate returns were simple but they are not.

0 Cheers
Julio354
Level 3

@IRonMaN has entered the ring!  🛎🔔🛎

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

Not my fight.  But when someone says they can't do a thing, I have to ask if that is really the case.  I have been around this place long enough to have seen just about everything there is to see.  Some folks have become so focused on needing software to do all of their thinking for them that when they come to a roadblock they don't look to see that if you back up a few feet, you can drive around the roadblock.  Good luck to everybody ------------ I'm going to look around for another ring to enter.

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
Julio354
Level 3

Thanks! Doing our best!

Rowtax1
Level 3

The trial balance import is really hosed this year....

I used to make a copy of the prior trial balance, go into the new trial balance, close the year and then enter data into the new year trial balance and go into proseries client, and point to the new trial balance, but that now freezes up the program...Badly....but as a work around, I don't change where the trial balance is imported from....I continue to use the same trial balance (ATBWU) and simply close that year, enter in the new data and import from there..  A couple of times, I found I had made an error on my journal entries and when I tried to re-import, it locked up again....So, I simply re-transferred the proseries client file from 2021 into 2022 and then imported the trial balance again...So...that worked for me....So, I am still using ATBWU.

Let me know by responding if that works for you.

0 Cheers
jjfcpa1
Level 2

Tech Support is absolutely no help in resolving this issue.

It's just a simple change to the field lengths in the ASCII file layout.  We were able to determine the change and make a fix to our ASCII files so they work properly.

We were contacted by our users of Quick Trial Balance that they were having problems with our ASCII export for Proseries.  We contacted Proseries support and discussed with the technician what the problem was and they were completely clueless.  It looks like this change may have been made in the 2021 version but it may have been after the filing season so you may not have run into it.

We had it fixed the day it was reported to us but not because of any information Proseries provided to us.

If you're using the dBase import option, you may be out of luck because ATB was the one that used that file format and it is no longer supported.  Not sure about any other trial balance software.

0 Cheers
sonnypsu
Level 3

Can you tell me how you made the fix?  Is it a fix in your TB program or the .txt file?

jjfcpa1
Level 2

The fix was made in our Quick Trial Balance software that generates the ASCII text file that can then be imported into Proseries.  It's such an easy fix, I can't believe that they couldn't explain to their users.

I actually suspected what the issue was and decided to put their tech support to the test to see if they could explain the issue, which of course, they could not.

0 Cheers
Rowtax1
Level 3

Is that Quick Trial Balance Pro by Pro-Ware, LLC ?

0 Cheers
jjfcpa1
Level 2

Yes it is Quick Trial Balance by PRO-WARE, LLC.

I've just finished adding an option to it so that you can select an ASCII file that is not formatted correctly and it will generate a new one formatted for the current version of PROSERIES.

However, I need someone to send me one of their ASCII files so that I can verify that it will work for them.  In other words, I want to verify that the ASCII file is based on the format that doesn't work.  It doesn't even need to be a complete ASCII file.  Just send me the first 10 lines and I can verify that it is the wrong format and run it through the option I added to ensure that it fixes it properly.

If all goes well, you will be able to download the demo of QTB (Quick Trial Balance) and run the option to fix your ASCII files.  You don't need to purchase QTB because it will run in demo mode for 30 days and the option will be accessible.

Send the ASCII file to our support email with the subject "Proseries ASCII file".  FYI, an ASCII file is just a text file so it may have an extension of TXT or no extension at all.

Unfortunately, I can't post the email address on this forum because they strip it out.  But if you go to PRO-WARE, LLC's website, click on Support, you'll see the support email address in the top right of the screen.

0 Cheers