Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transfer Files from different CPA firm

h0250722
Level 3

I am planning on taking over clients from a different CPA firm using proSeries as well. 
Is there a way I can transfer the files from the other CPA firm (of course with their consent) to my proSeries of the next year?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

4 Comments 4
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Same way youd move client files from one computer to another.

On the CPAs computer they would use Client File Maintenance >Backup , then you would take those back up files and use Client File Maintenance > Restore in your program.

The preparer code may be  something that trips you up and needs to be changed on each return when you work on it.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

That CPA may need their clients consent to do this as well...you'll want to look into that (or rather, he will want to look into that)

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
dd4vols
Level 10
Level 10

First … on the other CPAs computer.. go to C>Proseries>ProNet19> and Copy the 19Data file... and paste somewhere...like Desktop, or keep on the thumb drive. (assuming you taking his clients next year...if you are taking his clients right now...the Copy the 18Data file form the ProNet18 folder.)

Then, at the Homebase Screen.. >>Transfer>>Select the type of files to transfer ( the diff modules, 1040, 1065, 1120s, etc) THEN>> Transfer Data Files from... and change the default to like Desktop>19Data file, whatever you named it when you saved it to your desktop, or the Thumbdrive file 19dData if you didn't paste to Desktop.

Will have to do for each module, just like the regular transfer.

If an answer solves your issue, click on the "Accept as Solution" button! Makes it easier for people to find answers to similar questions that have already been posted.
Accountant-Man
Level 12

When I merged another CPA's returns into mine I had them sign a consent. The ones that didn't sign I didn't do.

ps He gave me a memory stick with the files copied onto it. Copied, not backed up works, too. I just had to change the preparer code.

Best planning in the world--a few years before the merger I convinced him to change to my software. Then the transfer was a breeze.

** I'm still a champion... of the world! Even without The Lounge.