Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Third Party Designee vs Form 2848

maximgt
Level 3

To my understanding, a Third Party Designee is an individual that is not the taxpayer or spouse that is authorized to speak to the IRS with regard to the return on which they are designated. However, in a couple of instances, I contacted the IRS to discuss a return on behalf of a taxpayer and the IRS requested that a POA (Form 2848) must be on file for that specific return and specific year before they can discuss the return with me. I did indicate that I was a 3rd party designee too. I am confused. Any thoughts?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

5 Comments 5
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Just depends on the rep you get how accommodating they are. I think the 3rd party one is only good for a limited time and for limited information.

Having a signed 8821 or an 2848 to fax to the rep if they wont honor the 3rd party designee is always a safer bet.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
dkh
Level 15

I believe a Third Party Designee is only valid for one year from date return is filed.

maximgt
Level 3

I called the IRS about 60 days after the original return was filed. It's odd, but thanks for the input.

0 Cheers
maximgt
Level 3

Thank you! 

0 Cheers
dkh
Level 15

Maybe new IRS employee that doesn't know what they are doing

0 Cheers