Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The instructions for 2020 Form 1040 Proseries state that it is possible to efile an amended Form 1040 for 2020 even if I did not originally efile return. Help!

KCJ
Level 2
The Proseries instructions state that you check the box below the "efile amended return" if you did not efile the original return.  I did that.  I entered the efile date on the "client status" form for the date the taxpayer originally efiled the return.  The Proseries is still looking to efile the original return.  Anyone have success in efiling an amended that you did not originally prepare and efile the original return?

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

3 Comments 3
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Someone else (unless it was you) reported that the other day, Im not sure what those instructions are referring to, as far as I know, you still had to have Efiled the original in order to Efile an amended.....maybe this means they will implement this function at some point soon?   🤷  

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
KCJ
Level 2

The instructions, however, specifically state "This box will automatically be checked if this file was successfully submitted for electronic filing. This box CAN ALSO BE MANUALLY checked if the taxpayer's original return was successfully submitted for electronic filing but the status was not updated in this data file."  It goes on to say that this will happen (the status not being updated showing efiled return) when the taxpayer prepared and submitted their own original return.  My question is - why have that box or instructions if the program is still not allowing the amended efile because I did not prepare and efile the original return?  I have read the instructions thoroughly.  I understand the prior guidelines that state you had to have efile the original return in order to efile the amended.  But why have the box then?

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
I can only hope that theyre getting ready to make that feature available soon.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪