Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Texas State Code

legal
Level 3

A client left state of Hawaii for Texas, but his W2 from TX doesn't have a State code.  How do I efile this?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
dd4vols
Level 10
Level 10

I live in Tennessee,  close to the Mississippi & Alabama state lines,  so I do tons of multi-state returns.  Tennessee has no state income tax either, but to get the state apportionment schedules to work correctly, Ii have to put the Tennessee wages in the state wages section also. I just put TN for the state and the # 1 in state # column, (or # 2 , etc), the correct wages for my state in that column and -0- in state income tax.  Worked for as long as i have used ProSeries, which is approaching  2 decades.

If an answer solves your issue, click on the "Accept as Solution" button! Makes it easier for people to find answers to similar questions that have already been posted.

View solution in original post

8 Comments 8
chasetax
Level 7

I don't believe Texas has an income tax--therefore no state id #

legal
Level 3

Because it is an "error" message, I can't efile?

0 Cheers
chasetax
Level 7

sorry i have one texas return and he lives in texas.  when e-filing you can un-check error checking but you might want to get other feedback from someone else

IRonMaN
Level 15

Did you enter TX as the state code in the state section of the W-2 and leave the ID # space blank?

If so, and that didn't work, try entering TX and use the federal ID number or enter 9s as the state ID number.

Slava Ukraini!
dascpa
Level 11

I have e-filed returns with Texas with both nothing in the W-2 section for state and also with putting TX, the Federal ID Number and then -0- for withholding.  If you're not talking about the W-2 you need to remove TX from the Info Worksheet as e-filing. Since there is nothing to e-file it's only Hawaii and Federal you're submitting.

0 Cheers
dd4vols
Level 10
Level 10

I live in Tennessee,  close to the Mississippi & Alabama state lines,  so I do tons of multi-state returns.  Tennessee has no state income tax either, but to get the state apportionment schedules to work correctly, Ii have to put the Tennessee wages in the state wages section also. I just put TN for the state and the # 1 in state # column, (or # 2 , etc), the correct wages for my state in that column and -0- in state income tax.  Worked for as long as i have used ProSeries, which is approaching  2 decades.

If an answer solves your issue, click on the "Accept as Solution" button! Makes it easier for people to find answers to similar questions that have already been posted.
legal
Level 3

The problem is because they used to live in Hawaii and now that I have changed everything to TX, the Income portion of their W2s still show up as a 'red lined' item because the program keeps asking for a State ID number when there is none.  Is there something I can put in like 99999999? Mahalo!

0 Cheers
dd4vols
Level 10
Level 10

yes you can, if you will read my post above, you will see that mentioned that very thing

0 Cheers