Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tax Extender

garman22
Level 13
Level 13

From what I see, we can now efile 2018 tax returns. BUT.....we are not ready re: the tax extender bill, correct? 

Thanks!! 

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AshleyatIntuit
Employee
Employee

So, i found out more info...  The 2018 product was re-enabled for customers that needed to efile not impacted by the extenders.  A new update will be slated for late Feb/early March (target date) but until then there is a diagnostic in program as follows (and @garman22 we will still link up to discuss):

image.png

View solution in original post

19 Comments 19
spb
Level 3

You haven't filed 2018 returns yet?

0 Cheers
garman22
Level 13
Level 13

I have not filed any returns for 2018 this year yet, no. But I want to know if I can amend 2018 due to the extender bill being passed. 

IRonMaN
Level 15

Sometimes you have to put your toes in the water - try it and see what happens 😎

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
garman22
Level 13
Level 13

@IntuitAustin @AshleyatIntuit  @IntuitCharlene 

Do you guys know this status? I tried updating 2018 and there was a major update but I dont see anything re: the new tax extender. Can you shed any light here?

garman22
Level 13
Level 13

I did my friend. I tried before I updated '18 and I tried after update and it was a no go. I just wanted to make sure its a no go. Im not sure if its Intuit wide or just my software. Intuit tells us nothing. 

IRonMaN
Level 15

Have you tried rebooting your computer?  Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the program?  Have you tried rubbing a lucky rabbit's foot?  I know the first two are standard operating procedures but I threw the third one in just for an enhancement 😋

Slava Ukraini!
AshleyatIntuit
Employee
Employee

From my understanding this has worked, and if you have most recent update installed, doing a Refresh or Repair update resolves.  If that still hasn't resolved for you, deleting everything out of your UPDATE folder w/ PS closed, and attempting again, would be my next recommendation.  But i know we are seeing successful 2018 filings occur for PS.

garman22
Level 13
Level 13

@IRonMaN wrote:

Have you tried rebooting your computer?  Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the program?  Have you tried rubbing a lucky rabbit's foot?  I know the first two are standard operating procedures but I threw the third one in just for an enhancement 😋

I must go get a rabbits foot!! 🤣

@IRonMaN Did you have any clients last year (2018) that was not able to deduct PMI due to the governments inability to extend PMI (along with others)? If so, have you tried to amend to include PMI? Im hoping someone can tell me that the most current update did include the tax extender bill or did not include the tax extender bill. 

IRonMaN
Level 15

I was thinking I didn't have anybody that it would apply to and I haven't stumbled across anybody that I didn't think of in my original thinking.  So I can't help you on that one --------------------- that's why I threw in that rabbit's foot for you. 🐇

Slava Ukraini!
garman22
Level 13
Level 13

@IRonMaN wrote:

I was thinking I didn't have anybody that it would apply to and I haven't stumbled across anybody that I didn't think of in my original thinking.  So I can't help you on that one --------------------- that's why I threw in that rabbit's foot for you. 🐇

Lol!! I do need that furry little dude!!!

Thats what I am looking to hear. I did hear from our friend @AshleyatIntuit  . I miss her.......I am awaiting on info from her to determine my original question. 

I appreciate you looking into it. 

chrisraif
Level 1

What about E-filing states?  I just received a bounced back return from Missouri but I was able to file the federal.

0 Cheers
AshleyatIntuit
Employee
Employee

So, i found out more info...  The 2018 product was re-enabled for customers that needed to efile not impacted by the extenders.  A new update will be slated for late Feb/early March (target date) but until then there is a diagnostic in program as follows (and @garman22 we will still link up to discuss):

image.png

garman22
Level 13
Level 13

@AshleyatIntuit  wrote:

image.png

Yes, Ashley has answered my question as well as a few others. But that is what I was looking for. My people know to be patient re: the extenders and the amends. I just wanted to make sure the ability to now efile and the extenders were going to be separate updates. 

MsGretle
Level 3

What about now? I am still not seeing the Extenders in my updates...is anyone?

Sched A PMI

Education Credits

Disaster relief NOL

0 Cheers
walnut123
Level 3

Any info when I can amend 2018 tax returns with the extenders?

Thanks

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

Nope

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
garman22
Level 13
Level 13

I was told through a FB group that Intuit has stated that due to Covid-19 the 2018 extender update has been pushed back with NO timetable forthcoming. So, that means we have to be patient once again. 

AshleyatIntuit
Employee
Employee

@garman22 this is true... We pushed an In-product in 2018 too, it states, "Due to the unexpected updates required in response to the IRS coronavirus relief measures, the update to ProSeries 2018 for the tax extenders has been delayed. This includes both federal and state updates. We do not have an estimate at this time for the release of this update. More information will be released as it becomes available."

garman22
Level 13
Level 13

@AshleyatIntuit  wrote:

@garman22 this is true... We pushed an In-product in 2018 too, it states, "Due to the unexpected updates required in response to the IRS coronavirus relief measures, the update to ProSeries 2018 for the tax extenders has been delayed. This includes both federal and state updates. We do not have an estimate at this time for the release of this update. More information will be released as it becomes available."

Thanks @AshleyatIntuit  . We appreciate you coming in on this. It means more to ppl when Intuit speaks out on this when we volunteers do. 😁