Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Storing Data Files in a external hard drive

30 year user
Level 2

I am using a desk top stand alone computer and for security reasons I would prefer not to leave client data files in the computers built in "C" drive. I would like to keep them in a external hard drive which I can disconnect at the end of the day and place in a secure location. Does anyone know if rather than using the default directories for present and prior year client data I can change the directory locations to an external hard drive and move the files to them on the external hard drive without effecting the performance of the program?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

5 Comments 5
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Tools >Options > Directories    you can change where the data files are stored 

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
Accountant-Man
Level 12

Yes, I have been doing that for years.

** I'm still a champion... of the world! Even without The Lounge.
itonewbie
Level 15

I'm sure you already back that up somewhere.  Since hardware-based encryption that comes with hard disks is not known to be the most secure, you may consider using third-party software such as Veracrypt instead.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
30 year user
Level 2

So you don't have your client files inside your computer? Your have them all on the external drive? What type of external drive do you use? Powered or un-powered? Approx how many clients do you have?

Thank you. 

0 Cheers
Accountant-Man
Level 12

Sorry, 30 year user, I just saw this now. I checked out but wasn't sure about external drives, powered or unpowered, so I just use a dedicated PC.

** I'm still a champion... of the world! Even without The Lounge.
0 Cheers