Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STIMULUS RECOVERY CREDIT ONE KID IN ONE KID OUT

emcwillard
Level 3

I am a tax professional and I am working on a clients return. A child was born in 2020 and I am trying to recover that credit. 

I am losing the ability to claim this credit because one of the dependents by the end of 2020 turned 17. They received the first stimulus and the second stimulus for that dependent that turned 17. I put the new baby in the program but since the dependent turned 17 it reads as if they can't recover any credit for it since they received money for the dependent that turned 17 at the end of 2020.

Hope that wasn't too confusing. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
clr600
Level 8

That,s how it is.

View solution in original post

6 Comments 6
clr600
Level 8

That,s how it is.

TAXOH
Level 11

That's correct.  They really shouldn't have received it for the 17 year old so it counts as being for the newborn.

BobKamman
Level 15

To make them feel better, tell them the proposed legislation for the EIP#3 allows $1,400 for ALL dependents.  

Accountant-Man
Level 12

This is a quirk in the law that happens often when a tax year tax credit is pre-paid during that same tax year. Since the credit is really for 2020, and the child does not qualify in 2020, they should not get it for 2020.

But it was pre-paid during 2020 based on 2019 facts.

However, if there was no baby born in 2020, they would not have to repay it for the now 17 year old!

** I'm still a champion... of the world! Even without The Lounge.
IRonMaN
Level 15

One kid in one kid out.  

Sounds like word problem back in grade school math.

+1-1=0

The math seems to work just fine.

Slava Ukraini!
qbteachmt
Level 15

See if this Restatement helps you: "They received the first stimulus and the second stimulus for that dependent that turned 17."

No.

They got Advanced Funds against a Projection of what 2020 would look like. But the advances are based on 2019 or 2018 tax forms. The 2020 tax info is the Actuals info used to reconcile what you are qualified to get against what you already got paid to you.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.