Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

stimulus payments

abs96
Level 3

Spouse died in March 2020.  Husband received $1200 each for the first stimulus payments.  He returned the $1200 check for his wife being deceased.  The second stimulus payment he received $600 for himself.  How do I report this on the Recovery Rebate worksheet?  If I show that he received only $1200 and $600, it calculates that he is getting a refund of $1800.  And if I show he received $2400 and $600, it shows a refund of $600.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TAXOH
Level 11

He should get 1,800.00.   As long as someone died in 2020 their spouse or representative is entitled to the 2 stimulus payments.

View solution in original post

6 Comments 6
TAXOH
Level 11

He should get 1,800.00.   As long as someone died in 2020 their spouse or representative is entitled to the 2 stimulus payments.

BobKamman
Level 15

Claim $1,800.  My bet is that IRS allows $600 because they're not set up to recognize returned payments.

abs96
Level 3

Interesting.  Thanks.

0 Cheers
abs96
Level 3

Thanks.

qbteachmt
Level 15

This was his error: "He returned the $1200 check for his wife being deceased"

That is not what the provision states.

Perhaps it would help to review what is really happening:

The funds were paid out as Advanced payment against a projection. The projection used 2018 or 2019 tax returns. But 2020 is the Actuals. You use the 2020 return to reconcile what a person is entitled to, against what they got. A person living to see Jan 1, 2020 is fully qualified.

You might want to bookmark these links and read the IRS guidance.

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/economic-impact-payment-information-center-topic-a-eip-eligibility

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/second-eip-faqs#Eligibility

One for each EIP.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
BobKamman
Level 15

IRS was telling survivors to return those checks.  Then IRS took another look at the law -- same as they did with inmates.