Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STIMULUS MONEY CALCULATING WRONG

emcwillard
Level 3

I just got a call from a client who said her refund was adjusted and she wanted to know why. After some snooping around, this is what I found. Proseries calculated her stimulus money to be higher than what she actually got. I put in the amount that she actually got and it gave her a $1100 recovery credit. The IRS made the adjustment so her refund is less (like is should have originally been). 

The only difference in her taxes was that she wasn't going to claim her dependent who was 19 in 2020. That dependent would not have qualified for the stimulus money anyway so I don't understand why the program calculated the payments as higher. 

Anyone else have this problem?

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

Yeah, a lot of people have noticed that the program often erroneously gives a Recovery Rebate Credit for a prior dependent.

View solution in original post

4 Comments 4
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

Yeah, a lot of people have noticed that the program often erroneously gives a Recovery Rebate Credit for a prior dependent.

emcwillard
Level 3

Man, nothing is worse than unhappy clients calling because of another proseries glitch. This year is a nightmare. 

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
You didnt notice the incorrect amount when you filled out the RRC worksheet?

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
emcwillard
Level 3

When I did the taxes, I noticed that the RRC amounts were higher. I remember thinking this is weird. I think I moved the dependents up a line because when I opened the taxes again to check there were no blank spots on dependents list.🤔🤷‍♂️