Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stimulus Info on IRS site

Marsha2020
Level 4

I have a client that went to the IRS website to enter direct deposit info for the stimulus because this couple always owes and the account info was not on file.   This was before they had filed her 2019 return.  Now that I have filed the return, it rejected and says social has already been used.  I'm familiar with the fraud aspect, but could it be that the stimulus site is causing rejects?  Any thoughts on this?  I understand that mailing is the only option now.  Thanks.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sjrcpa
Level 15

Sounds like they inadvertently (or stupidly since the site mentions this) filed a zero return at the IRS website. Now they need to file the 1040, on paper, as a superseding return.

Ex-AllStar

View solution in original post

4 Comments 4
sjrcpa
Level 15

Sounds like they inadvertently (or stupidly since the site mentions this) filed a zero return at the IRS website. Now they need to file the 1040, on paper, as a superseding return.

Ex-AllStar
IRonMaN
Level 15

Maybe if they had been in as big of a rush to file their return as they were to get their freebie payment things would have worked a little smoother.

Slava Ukraini!
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

@Marsha2020 wrote:

I have a client that went to the IRS website to enter direct deposit info for the stimulus because this couple always owes and the account info was not on file.   This was before they had filed her 2019 return.  Now that I have filed the return, it rejected and says social has already been used.  I'm familiar with the fraud aspect, but could it be that the stimulus site is causing rejects?  Any thoughts on this?  I understand that mailing is the only option now.  Thanks.

If the client incorrectly entered their information as a non-filer, yes, that is the problem.

If the client correctly entered their information under "get my payment", no, that is probably not the problem.

tambi
Level 2

Does anyone know if the taxes need to be mailed to a different address than the usual if the client has already entered their bank information as a non-filer and caused a rejection of the e-filed 2019 taxes.

0 Cheers