Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stimulus for non citizen taxpayers

Eddie903
Level 4

Google fu has failed me, I know the news is stating that taxpayers where both primary and spouse have ITINs qualify for stimulus, but everything I find from the IRS references  mixed status families.  Even articles that state it cite IRS documents that do not match what they say.  Anyone have an idea if this is actually going to be paid out to families where both taxpayers have ITINs?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

3 Comments 3
Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

from IRS: link:https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/recovery-rebate-credit-topic-b-eligibility

You are not eligible for the Recovery Rebate Credit if any of the following applies:

• You may be claimed as a dependent on another taxpayer’s 2020 return (for example, a child or student who may be claimed on a parent’s return or a dependent parent who may be claimed on an adult child’s return).
  • You do not have a Social Security number that is valid for employment issued before the due date of your 2020 tax return (including extensions). Some exceptions apply for those who file married filing jointly where only one spouse must have a valid Social Security number to claim RRC.
  • You are a nonresident alien.
  • You are an estate or trust.
sjrcpa
Level 15

But if your dependent has an SSN you should get the payment for them, even if you don't have an SSN.

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers
Eddie903
Level 4

That's updated as of February 5th, the "American Rescue Plan" was signed March 11th, that's the stimulus all over the news and apparently according to my clients "Tik Tok" where some other tax pro is saying they will get the next stimmy @Terry53029 

0 Cheers