Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stepped up cost basis on inherited house: gift bases vs. date of death basis?

jesdq1
Level 4

Regarding the stepped up basis of inherited property or gift:  Warranty deed dated August, 2008 quit claimed the house from mother to mother and son. Warranty deed also gave mother unrestricted right to sell, gift lease... for the mothers lifetime.  Then upon her death property then conveyed to son.  Mother died Nov 1, 2020.  My question is this:  was the house gifted to the son (august,2008) or can I take date of death stepped up basis?  I am thinking that the clause in the warranty deed where the mother maintains complete control over the house allows the DOD stepped up basis ( because the son did not have a right the house until death ) ?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Camp1040
Level 10

Was a life estate drawn up between mother and son? Sounds like the basic are in the warranty deed, but son should be identified as the remainderman and the mother is the life tenant, if it is a life estate arrangement then the remainderman (son) would get stepped up basis.

View solution in original post

8 Comments 8
Camp1040
Level 10

Was a life estate drawn up between mother and son? Sounds like the basic are in the warranty deed, but son should be identified as the remainderman and the mother is the life tenant, if it is a life estate arrangement then the remainderman (son) would get stepped up basis.

TaxGuyBill
Level 15

That sounds like a "Life Estate", rather than a "Gift".  As such, it receives the Step-Up in Basis.

jesdq1
Level 4

thank you

0 Cheers
jesdq1
Level 4

thank you!

0 Cheers
luv2rideaz3
Level 1

I have a similar question about an inheritance of house. My moms house was in their family trust and I was the beneficiary of the house according to the trust. I used the house as a rental from Aug.2011 to March 2021 and ran the rental “business” with the house still in the trust. I am also the trustee of my parents family trust. I have done tax returns for the trust for the rental income. In March of 2021 I paid off the mortgage on the home then transferred the property to myself with a quit claim from trust to myself and recorded with county. In July I sold the home which is now in my name. I know I have to claim the capital gain and got a 1099s to report sale price. My question is for the basis of the value of home to deduct from sales price. Would it be the FMV in 2011 when my mom passed, or the FMV in March 2021 when the house legally became mine? Transferred from trust to myself. Thank you

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

What basis was used for depreciation while it was a rental?

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers
luv2rideaz3
Level 1

The amount used for depreciation was 25,400 . This was what I spent refurbishing the home to rent. The FMV of the home wasn’t used. Was claiming about 897 a year on the trust taxes for depreciation, from 2011 to 2021

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

@luv2rideaz3 

You seem to be lost on the internet.

You’ve come to a Peer User community for Intuit Income Tax Preparation products supporting tax preparation professionals using ProSeries, Proconnect and Lacerte Tax Preparation programs, and you may be looking for support as an individual taxpayer using TurboTax. Please visit the TurboTax Help site for support.

And try this screen, for the various topics (subforums): https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/discussions/discussion/03/302

Your sign in user info here is the same one you can use over at the TurboTax forum.

Thanks.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers