Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What form do I use for a 1031 exchange and all closing costs

corinne91
Level 1

his lawyer stated he could use all the closing costs for the sale of the rental building in 2018 and real estate taxes, for the 1031 exchange is this true? which form does that go on

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Like Kind Exchanges are reported on Form 8824.  They can be a bit tricky, so you may want t refer to the Help Files or dig through the ProSeries Knowledge Base for more information.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
10 Comments 10
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Like Kind Exchanges are reported on Form 8824.  They can be a bit tricky, so you may want t refer to the Help Files or dig through the ProSeries Knowledge Base for more information.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15
Real estate taxes are separate. If this is rental property they go on the rental schedule.

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers
RobinH
Level 2

Can you help me fill out a 1031 exchange of a rental? I am unfamiliar with form 8824 and I haven't done an exchange in about 20 years

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

Print the form and instructions. Mock it up with a pencil. Then go back to the software and play around til you get it to come out right. I have to do this every time, and I did about 4 this year.

Ex-AllStar
RobinH
Level 2

I have not done one of these if 20 years.  Question: If my client received 50,000 boot through escrow and had 1665. paid directly to the state (mandatory) is that considered cash? He sold a rental for 205,000 and bought a rental for 249000. I hope you can help me step by step. I am hitting a brick wall

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

Yes on the 50,000. What is the nature of the 1665 paid to the state?

Ex-AllStar
RobinH
Level 2

Mandatory withholding that is sent to the Franchise Tax board(CA) for possible gains on sale of property. I am guess that it will also qualify as cash received, as he will be able to get it back from the state.

0 Cheers
RobinH
Level 2

is there a way to contact each other directly, so that we can go over it line by line?

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

Correct.

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

No. No offense but it is October 13 and I am extremely busy. I'm just stopping in here while waiting for stuff to print, etc.

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers