Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

State taxes paid to wrong state.

Tregina2003
Level 1

I have a client that lives in NJ and works f a company in CA. The payroll department had her living state as CA for 8 months before she realized it was wrong. On her W-2 she has taxes paid to both CA & NJ. How do I credit her CA state taxes so she won't owe taxes to them since she never lived in that state?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

6 Comments 6
PATAX
Level 15

You may want to consider having the client contact the employer and ask it to correct the W-2 form if it is incorrect.

TaxTackler
Level 3

File a Non-Resident California to get a refund of the taxes. This happened to one of my clients long ago.  California will want proof that she resided in NJ all year. 

Tregina2003
Level 1

That is what I suggested that she do..thanks!

0 Cheers
Tregina2003
Level 1

Thanks. I will let her know this is an option.

0 Cheers
PATAX
Level 15

You are welcome. This happened with one of my clients before who lived in NJ. Employer issued incorrect w2 with partial NY wages. Client contacted employer and it issued corrected w2. Some employers may be reluctant to issue corrected w2. Good luck.

sjrcpa
Level 15

That's really the only option. 

A corrected W-2 is not in order because the W-2 was correct. Employer withheld and remitted CA tax and correctly showed it on the W-2.

Ex-AllStar