Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

State tax return

Opfor77
Level 4

So I have this client that is kind of arguing with me over something, and now they have me second guessing myself that I missed something obvious.  Here goes...

She moved from KY to FL at the end 2019.  She purchased a house in FL in 2020, and sold her house in KY in 2020.  $85,000 gain from house, but negated from the $250,000 exemption.  She also purchased a second home in KY (not a rental, sits empty) in 2020.  No 2020 KY return needed, correct? 

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ivlabonne
Level 3

so if her principal residence is in FL and KY does not require a return for the sale of her residence (taxable or not) and she is not renting out her property in KY ...........then no KY return.

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
8 Comments 8
BobKamman
Level 15

Where are her cars registered?  Where did she vote in November?  How many trips back to Kentucky did she make to buy and sell property?  How long was she there?  Is she employed in either place?  Working from home?  

ivlabonne
Level 3

Unless KY has a requirement to report the sale of her principal residence, I would say no Ky required.

0 Cheers
ivlabonne
Level 3

she moved in 2019

0 Cheers
Opfor77
Level 4

All in FL. 1-2 trips for a couple days back to KY. Retired in FL. 

0 Cheers
Opfor77
Level 4

Thank you. That’s what I kept saying. 

BobKamman
Level 15

Lots of people move.  Some never give up their domicile.  Some states tax people based on physical presence for a certain number of days, or on where their employer is located.  If you don't want to answer the questions and she's feeling guilty about not filing a Kentucky return, why did you ask?

Opfor77
Level 4

I did answer the question.  Everything in FL, 1-2 KY visits a year for a couple days each, doesn't work, retired.

0 Cheers
ivlabonne
Level 3

so if her principal residence is in FL and KY does not require a return for the sale of her residence (taxable or not) and she is not renting out her property in KY ...........then no KY return.

0 Cheers