Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

State tax return with wrong social security number e-filed how long to wait for a rejection from NJ so that I can correct it and resend?

Taxburnout
Level 2

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

16 Comments 16
abctax55
Level 15

Most states (CA being one...) don't cross reference social security numbers.  

That's an IRS --> Social Security Admin function.

You should still (probably?) amend the NJ return to correct the issue, but I doubt the return is going to be rejected.  But them there right coast states do things differently. 😀

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
itonewbie
Level 15

My thinking is that it will be rejected.  Not because NJ cross-check the SSN but because NJ is a piggyback state (unlike CA, which is a Standalone) that must pass through the IRS and the IRS should catch the mismatch.

Was the Federal return accepted?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
DG11
Level 1

What if it wasn’t rejected and was accepted by the state despite having the wrong social, should an attempt be made to correct even though there were no implications, wasn’t rejected and still received refund.

0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15

If it has the wrong SSN, why would there be no implication?  How would the IRS know that your client had filed a return, let alone complete and accurate, if they matched the return to someone else's records?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
DG11
Level 1

The federal return was refilled with the correct social security and accepted. However the state returns did not reject the ones with the incorrect social and accepted those. So do I have to refill those state returns with the correct socials? I’m just worried the state systems will be confused by having the same name in the system and charge the client twice (despite having a different social). 

0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15

You have two choices.  Write to the state DoR about the SSN being incorrect and provide a copy of the return with the hope that they will update your client's records.  Or you can simply file an amended state return with an explanation, which is the proper process.

Still an AllStar
DG11
Level 1

Okay what about the third option in which I file the state tax returns again with the correct social?

0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15

Deleting... since Jensen was so helpful I will leave this thread with just his stellar & pertinent comments.

( Generic Comment )"
DG11
Level 1

Yes that is my question would refilling the state returns with the correct socials void the state returns with the incorrect socials (basically eliminate the need to amend the returns filed with the incorrect socials)? And the incorrect social was provided due to an inaccurate w2 form. 

0 Cheers
DG11
Level 1

And just so you know I am fully aware that it is my issue, my client, so I don’t know how necessary the need is for caps and somewhat aggressive language. 

0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15

Deleting... since Jensen was so helpful I will leave this thread with just his stellar & pertinent comments.

( Generic Comment )"
itonewbie
Level 15

You really shouldn't go for this "third option".  Why should you let this incorrect return with the wrong social floating around?  If the state is, somehow, able to connect the dots (well, the address and name are still correct, aren't they) and discover that the two returns are one and the same, it may create more unnecessary confusion/complication for your client down the line.

Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
DG11
Level 1

Okay thanks for your calm responses and taking the time to explain this. 

0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15

( Generic Comment )"
itonewbie
Level 15

Can't agree more, Anna!  I'd hate to be in that person's shoe.  You never know.

Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
DG11
Level 1

What dig? I’m just saying that I appreciate them taking the time to explain it carefully to me, as they could have stopped responding awhile ago. 
And duly noted about if incorrect the state will hound them. That is helpful information as well. 
I’m just trying to determine the best course of action as I’ve never been in this situation before (as I always cross check the socials with the W2s, instead of having them share that information, and then have them confirm such when I send the draft).

0 Cheers