Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

State tax attributed to SE income

ranthony
Level 2

I had the IRS change my 2016 1040 (MINE - not a client's) for the state tax that I deduct from my schedule C, but they didn't change that part.  I add a line to my Schedule A to add it back to income so that my Schedule A reflects only that which is personal.  The IRS took that line off of my Schedule A and then added a Miscellaneous Income line to my 1040 for that amount.  There is no net change to my federal return, but my state hit me with a bill. Even though I add that back into my state income since state tax isn't deductible on my state return.

How is this normally entered on the return and does Proseries Basic have a way to enter it?  I don't see anything on the tax payments schedule where I can adjust what is deducted on the Schedule A.

I'm concerned because I've done this for years and not just for myself - for several clients.  I haven't had any of them com back yet, but it's probably only a matter of time...  ???

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
IRonMaN
Level 15

You can't deduct state income taxes from a schedule C.  I'm not sure exactly what happened with your return, but you really want to stop taking that deduction.

Slava Ukraini!

View solution in original post

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

State income tax paid is a Sch A deduction then the following year any state refund becomes income on that years return.....you need to get Sch C out of the mix.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

View solution in original post

4 Comments 4
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

What kind of state tax are you deducting on Sch C?  Im confused.

ranthony
Level 2

State income tax

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

You can't deduct state income taxes from a schedule C.  I'm not sure exactly what happened with your return, but you really want to stop taking that deduction.

Slava Ukraini!
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

State income tax paid is a Sch A deduction then the following year any state refund becomes income on that years return.....you need to get Sch C out of the mix.