Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STATE OF NEW JERSEY EIC FOR TAXPAYERS AGE BETWEEN 21-24

janine
Level 4

This is new for the state of New Jersey.  My client is 22.  She is not eligible for federal EIC due to age, but NJ EIC allows her to claim the EIC because she falls in between the ages 21-24.  How can I get NJ program to enter that EIC amount?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
athaureaux6
Level 8

Hi,  I tried one case of a 22 year old taxpayer and the NJ software calculated the EIC without qualifying for the Federal EITC. The NJ EIC was calculated automatically in Line 58. Maybe she went over the limits, I have to check the income limits, but I know that NJ lowered the age to 21 recently. Thank you. 

View solution in original post

3 Comments 3
athaureaux6
Level 8

Hi,  I tried one case of a 22 year old taxpayer and the NJ software calculated the EIC without qualifying for the Federal EITC. The NJ EIC was calculated automatically in Line 58. Maybe she went over the limits, I have to check the income limits, but I know that NJ lowered the age to 21 recently. Thank you. 

janine
Level 4

hummm let me ask you is unemployment amount part of earnings although is not earning?

because she did receive unemployment that puts her over the limit

0 Cheers
janine
Level 4

Thank you for your help.  I removed the unemployment amount just to see and OF COURSE it worked.

Unemployment amount was the issue.  Thank you for helping me out.

0 Cheers