Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

State of MIchigan calculated penalties and interest for 2019

Sandra1
Level 2

How do I get the Proseries basic program to over-ride the calculation of penalties and interest for 2019. This client underpaid estimates and owed in 2018, but Michigan is waiving penalties and interest for the 2019 returns..

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IRonMaN
Level 15

Is there a box on the form like the federal that asks for last year's tax?  If there is, enter zero and see what happens.

Slava Ukraini!

View solution in original post

7 Comments 7
IRonMaN
Level 15

Is there a box on the form like the federal that asks for last year's tax?  If there is, enter zero and see what happens.

Slava Ukraini!
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

@Sandra1 wrote:

How do I get the Proseries basic program to over-ride the calculation of penalties and interest for 2019. This client underpaid estimates and owed in 2018, but Michigan is waiving penalties and interest for the 2019 returns..

Even for underpayment through the year?

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
Sandra1
Level 2

The State of Michigan is waiving all penalties thru July 15, 2020 if the return is filed on time. I am filing this clients return by Monday. So I just input that liability was zero for 2018 (which it wasn't). On the Federal there is a line that you can elect; whereas, the Federal government will bill the client. I was hoping that was true for the State of MI, but no... It is automatically calculating the penalties and interest based on the 2018 and 2019 tax due...

0 Cheers
Sandra1
Level 2

Sorry! This client is paying what he owes now. He is not waiting to file or pay...

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

"It is automatically calculating the penalties and interest based on the 2018 and 2019 tax due"

But like I said, change the 2018 tax to zero.

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
Sandra1
Level 2

There is a line that asks for 2018 last years tax so I entered zero as you advised and it got rid of the penalties and interest that it was calculating... Thank you

IRonMaN
Level 15

You betcha!

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers