Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

State Income Tax Deduction for 2017 Individual Income Calculation Issue

catty0405
Level 2

I just received a notice from the state of Colorado for one of my clients for a 2017 tax return that the State Income Tax Deduction is incorrect.  I used ProSeries Basic and it didn't use the amount that is listed on her Schedule A line 5.  My client itemized deductions and also had enough itemized deductions without line 5.  Of course, they owe more money.  She was not a high income earner, nothing unusual about her return.  Single mom in her 30's working as a teacher.  Called ProSeries and of course they have no idea and can only help with the past 3 years.  The issue I have is that this is the number that defaulted and I would have had to override the amount and shut off the error check to file it with this amount.  What am I missing?  Is this an error in ProSeries?  Where do I go and who do I turn to?  The return was filed in April of 2018 so plenty of time for updates.  I haven't seen anyone else with this issue, so I am thinking this is something I did?  Help!  Thank you

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

4 Comments 4
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Im not in CO, but I know CA doesnt let people deduct state income taxes paid from Sch A, it adds it back, are you saying that CO does?

are you sure youre reading the notice correctly?

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
catty0405
Level 2

No--not saying that at all and either way it wouldn't matter.  Colorado adds back the deduction.  The point of the conversation is that it used the wrong amount.  It didn't use what it references which is Schedule A Line 5.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Did it pick up a difference line? or just some random amount?

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
catty0405
Level 2

Random

0 Cheers